Are there any RISD students/alums out there?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Are there any RISD students/alums out there?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Knee
    Participant

I have been accepted to the RISD MLA program starting this July. I am so very excited but for some reason I feel some hesitation that I can’t quite pinpoint. I thought it might be helpful for me if I could hear some pros and cons about the program. Does anyone out there have some advice? Strong opinions? Angst? Euphoria? Regrets?

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Hey Sarah,
    Check out the Advanced Member Search here – http://www.land8lounge.com/profiles/members/advancedSearch

Also, here are the search results I got for RISD.

Hope this helps!
    Andrew

jennifer Bloch
    Participant

Hi Sarah – I graduated in 01 – so the program and so all people are not the same as they are now. It was a big uphill climb – with little sleep. RISD is an amazing environment – there is so much to take advantage of while you are there- afterwards you will have the benefit of having attended a profound institution to which many great people are connected.

you will get out of it what you put in. i can’t say i can or can’t recommend it as I don’t know what expectations or desires you have for your future.

it was good for me – the mix of architecture and fine art and landscape was what i wanted.

rhode island is cold – and the people of providence are cold too…

RISD and Brown are entwined to a degree and you can take classes up the hill if you want…

say hi to Lili Herman for me if you decide to go.

let me know if you have any questions – Best – Jennifer

Matt Landis
    Participant

Do you have specific questions? RISD is a great program…but it is definitely a different approach than a school like Cornell or the GSD. Not for better or worse…it just depends on what you are hoping to get out of the program.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Maybe Matt would invite you to join their group? http://www.land8lounge.com/group/risdalumni

eheh… : )

Sarah Knee
    Participant

I suppose if I were honest with myself, then I would admit that I’m scared about the intensity of the program. I have a mentor who went to the GSD and she described her experience there as “extremely fun,” however, the RISD students I have talked to have quite different feelings. Students I was able to talk with said that it’s extremely intense with very little sleep. One guy told me he got a concussion from passing out in the shower from exhaustion. Another guy said, “oh, it’s great that you are married, but your never going to see your husband.” So, as you can see, I’m a little hesitant to put myself through this. I guess I wouldn’t mind if it’s intense if it is equally fun and I am enjoying everything I’m learning. So, do you have any thoughts on this? Is it as stressful and sleepless as been described to me?

Matt Landis
    Participant

It is tough…and on the first day, the faculty gives a speech that admits there have been several students that began there studies married…and ended their studies single. It is a bit of a scare tactic, (although there is some truth to it)…but I honestly don’t remember ever being bothered by the time committment. I was ready for the program and went into it knowing that I was going to live, eat, and sleep RISD for 2 years. It may have been easier for me since I had a previous degree in LA…but I don’t really think RISD is that much different than GSD in terms of time committment. I have several friends who went to GSD…and they have all had a similar experience. I wouldn’t determine your choice based on time…I would approach it in terms of the type of design philosophy you most relate to. This is where schools (RISD and GSD especially) tend to have a much different approach. Visit the schools you have been accepted to…talk to faculty, study the work of alumni, talk to former students…and let that guide your decision. Wherever you end up….there will be plenty of sleepless nights…and RISD is not extreme in that regard. Hope this helps and please feel free to give me a call if you have any other questions….(my phone number is on my website).

Patrick Jensen
    Participant

I’ve also been accepted to RISD for their July MLA program and this thread has me a bit shaken up as well. I’m not afraid of hard work, but I’m certainly not willing to part with my fiance over a degree! When I attend the open house I’m going to be sure to take a hard look at the students to see if they are energized in working towards their degree or if they seem beaten down.

Matt, you mentioned that RISD is different from Cornell or the GSD. Can you expand on that?

Mike DeGregorio
    Participant

Hey everyone.
    Just wanted to say congrats to Patrick and Sarah. I also was admitted into the program, so I’m looking forward to meeting you both. Are you MLA 1 or 2? I, of course, can’t provide insight on the program but as far as the time commitment, I feel like you’re gonna have that no matter where you go. If it’s anything like my undergrad, I know I’ll be spending countless hours in studio. Anyway, I think it’ll all be more clear after the open house.

Patrick Jensen
    Participant

Mike, congrats to you as well. I’d be going for MLA1; I have a computer science background.

Daniel Miller
    Participant

Congrats to those who have been accepted. Myself and a friend both were accepted for the MLA II program this fall as well. Did anyone apply to any other programs?

I have another friend and old classmate who started last summer. He says it has it’s ups and downs, and its not perfect but he loves it. Coming with a background of a BSLA and the sleepless nights that come with it, he described the first quarter (not summer session) as completely hectic. He said it was a lot of work and very little sleep. The first semester is kind of a “general design” class that merges architecture and landscape architecture and covers a lot of abstract, spatial analysis, form, and figure ground. Anyone with a BLA has probably taken something similar in their first year of undergrad – and knows how time consuming it can be. He said, at first he didn’t like it, because he had already taken a class like this and his intent was to focus on a specific topic…not take a step back and learn the basics of design.

Then the semester was over, and after some reflection…realized that it was a great class. Even though it was similar to the class he already took 5 years prior, he learned so much and he thinks that class alone will change the way he thinks about his design process. Now, he loves it…and even though it’s cold and expensive, he says it’s very worth it.

An added bonus is the winter session. It’s a 6-week class session between the 2 semesters that allows you to explore other avenues of the school. My friend said he’s taking a pottery class in India, because he wanted to go to India, which is covered through the tuition with minimum out of pocket expenses. Another plus for the MLA II’s is the open-ness of the schedule. Since you don’t have to take a number of the classes, you have more open slots for electives. So, if you’re interested in pottery, photography, graphic design, woodworking, jewelry, etc…you can take whatever you would like. Also, Mikyoung Kim is amazing.

Take that for what you will…it’s a few tidbits I heard from someone currently in the program. Even if it’s not all “positive” I hope it helps people out.

-dM

agnes.w
    Participant

hi guys ~ i also accepted for the MLA II program this fall as well. RISD program is great , and i really interested in the mix of fine art and landscape. but RISD’s tution is expensive , could anyone can tell me something about the student who graduated in RISD, how about their job , is that worth?

Patrick Jensen
    Participant

have you received any info about assistanships/fellowships? i got an email today with some information that helped a little bit.

still… when you look at the costs of 2 or 3 years all at once it it quite overwhelming.

agnes.w
    Participant

Patrick ,
    i got the $8000 assistanships/fellowships, but it still expensive. Does the second year will have more chance to apply for more fellowshiips? are you going to enroll to risd?

Patrick Jensen
    Participant

I think I remember Colgate mentioning that aid goes up a bit in the 2nd and 3rd years, but don’t quote me on that.

I haven’t made my decision, yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register