ASLA Resume Posting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andy Patton
    Participant

Hello All!

Has anyone had success posting their Resume/Portfolio on ASLA’s job finder web page?  Trying to see if I can justify the $100 they are asking for.  Seems pricey to me.  Thanks!

Roland Beinert
    Participant

$100? If they are charging that for posting resumes, this is the first I’ve heard. I’ve been posting mine for free for the past several months. I think I had to pay a bit before the recession, but it was only about $10. $100 would be a huge, sudden increase right when many are still struggling to find jobs. Check to make sure they are really asking that. I find it hard to believe.
    Actually, both my previous bosses found me through my resume on the ASLA website. But, if the cost has risen that much, you can always post it for free elsewhere.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Oh, I see, you’re not an ASLA member. Never mind.

Andy Patton
    Participant

It looks like as an ASLA member, which I am not, allows you to post a resume for “free for a limited” time.  A non member can post a resume for $100 for 2 months.  If it will help me at least get in front of people to talk about even just a possibility of work than I think I can take the hit.  I’m mostly curious if there is anyone out there perusing ASLA posted resumes, which it sounds like there are.

Thanks for the help Roland.  

Andy Patton
    Participant

Are there any huge benefits to being a part of ASLA other than Job Postings?  Never really had the extra cash to join but if its a smart thing to be a part of then its probably a good idea.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

You get landscape architecture magazine every month and discounts on the annual conference. How long ago did you graduate? There’s discounts for students and recent grads. If you plan on having your resume up for several months (and since the profession is still recovering,you might), it would probably be cheaper to join. Four months of posting your resume would probably be about half the cost.

Andy Patton
    Participant

I graduated a couple years ago, so I think that’s smart.  Thanks a lot for the help. 

Chris Whitted
    Participant

My experience differs from Roland’s, which may be a geographical thing or any of a host of other reasons.  But only once (twice?) was I ever contacted in the few times (and several months in total) I had a resume posted on ASLA over the years, and it was by a headhunter, not an actual firm or LA.  As a non-member, no it is absolutely not worth the cost and is very over-priced.  As a member, it’s been free for a long while now, but even at $10… it’s not really worth the cost (let alone the additional cost of membership).

Especially consider that just posting a resume isn’t likely to be measurably effective in a job search.  With so many candidates to choose from, especially right now, they don’t go looking for resumes.  If they aren’t hiring through networks, they make a posting and then take the first 5% or whatever of resumes they get swamped with.  If you can post your resume online for free, go for it.  Use LinkedIn or even whatever job search sites, or host your own site.  But don’t pay to post it and especially not that much.  Networking is going to be the key, and ASLA may or may not provide an opportunity for that depending on where you are.

I won’t turn this into a ASLA worth it thread as there are already several of those, but since you asked I will say that unless a) your state has an active chapter and b) you are NEAR where that chapter hosts most of their activities, then no, ASLA is probably not worth it.  At least in my experience and coming from the perspective of the unemployed.  If you’ve got the disposable income or an employer that pays your dues for you it might be a different story.  And for the record, I was a member from the time I declared in school until a year after my first major layoff.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

The ones who hired me were smaller firms that were looking to hire someone really fast. This was before the recession, though. I don’t think they even put up a job post. They just called me after seeing my resume. I have a feeling they were looking for specific things, and didn’t want to be swamped with applicants. Of course, this took a while. I had my resume there for several months. I’ve never gotten a job from the firms that actually post the job advertisements.

Maybe Chris is right. It certainly isn’t worth it for everyone. There are a lot more websites to post your resume on now, and most are free. It may even be better to post it on your local ASLA chapter website for a fee, if you have a major city nearby and want to stay in the area. For me the membership is worth it, because I enjoy the magazine and always go to the conferences. If you definitely plan to post your resume there, buy the magazine or go to the conferences, then the discounts you get from membership are woth it. If you decide you don’t want to do any of those things, it is not worth it.  

I have had 3 phone calls, 2 of which were particularly of interest.  I think it is worth it.  You’ll make that $100 back in a day or two after getting the job.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register