Atlanta

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mark Simmons
    Participant

I’m headed to Atlanta for a few days over Christmas, and don’t know the city at all. Does anyone recommend any interesting landscape architecture thare?

Ashley Cramer
    Participant

Are you going to the City or Metro area?
    Can’t miss Centennial Park downtown…

Mark Simmons
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.
    The city. I’m in transit for a couple days in Atlanta while en route to Tennessee, so I’m open to suggestions as to where to stay and what to see. I hear the botanical gardens are nice. Is centennial park easy to find?
    Mark

Jason Steidel
    Participant

Will you be in a car or on foot?

Piedmont Park should definately be on your list.

Also- there are quite a few wonderful older neighborhoods in that area: Ansley Park, Virginia Highlands, etc. There has been a lot of work going on in these areas over the past few years. Some good, some not so good- but all worthy of evaluation and discussion- especially for an aspiring LA. If you are interested in more details- let me know- I live in the area. -Jason.

Mark Simmons
    Participant

Thanks for responding, Jason. I’ll be in a car, but I’d like to centralize and walk as much as possible. or take public transport, if possible. I only have an afternoon and evening, actually, but would like to see a couple of sites at least. Piedmont Park seems pretty central, it seems, at least according to a map I have. I just saw the news about the walkway that collapsed in the gardens. Tragic. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Mark

Jason Steidel
    Participant

Depending on what your areas of interest are- Atlantic Station is also nearby. This is a relatively new mixed use development on an old brownfield site. People seem to either love it or hate it- but it is another great place to evaluate and determine what works and what doesn’t.

Ashley Cramer
    Participant

Yes. Esp. from the highway.Try centennialpark.com- it has a spot for driving directions- the have ice skating this tiem of year too- and tickets to the aquarium if your interested in some architecture. Ansley Park and the highlands are great suggestions. One thing to keep in mind is Atlanta has been developed around the automobile and only the automobile- that is going to change soon with the new beltline- but for now- you have to drive from place to place for the most part. I would get an atlas- google the places and map out a trip…

Chris Heiler
    Participant

If you want to see a beautiful residential garden, check out Ryan Gainey’s garden in Decatur. It’s not too far from the botanic garden.

Ryan is a very well-known designer who has designed projects around the world. His personal garden has been featured in numerous magazines.

The garden is open to the public. Google his name and you’ll find information about the garden.

Chris Heiler
    Editor- LandscapeLeadership.com
    Follow me on Twitter

Jason Steidel
    Participant

So where did you go and what did you think?

Mark Simmons
    Participant

I was only in Atlanta for a day but managed to get a taste of things. I visited Piedmont Park and the gardens, which were georgeous, even in winter, Centennial Park, and drove through Virginia Highlands neighborhood. I wasn’t sure what to llook for in the highlands, only saw houses and shops. It is a charming neighborhood. I must have missed the parks or open spaces. Managed to have lunch in Atlantic Station on the way back. It’ll be interesting to see how it develops, since a lot is still under construction. I like the way the plan brings people out into the street, as opposed to an indoor shopping mall. Good choice of restaurants, etc. Not having seen much of it, it’s hard to comment, but it’d be nice to see more parks/fountains.
    I liked Centennial Park but the only comment I have is that the beautiful sweeping vistas give way to uninteresting architecture in the background.
    I’d like to come back again someday and see more, especially during spring or summer when everything is green. Thanks again for the suggestions!
    Mark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register