Back to the drawing board

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pat S. Rosend
    Participant

I found this interesting and thought this group might also.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/getting-back-to-the-phantom-skill/?ref=opinion&nl=opinion&emc=tya1

I miss actual drawing. I do so little of it these days.

Boilerplater
    Participant

That led me to today’s Opinionator, which I found more interesting: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/17/the-geometry-of-sprawl/
    Sorry to derail the thread.

Pat S. Rosend
    Participant

That link is great. The photos are incredible. We could have a discussion on each.The prison photos are interesting.
    I really like to see the layouts from the air.

You can also “see” the desert and how these communites have been dropped in.

Trace One
    Participant

Isn’t this similar to Jim Corner’s book with Alex MacLean on the American Landscape? I like the photos, though, of course – aerials are absolutely addicting..I would love to have been a photo interpreter for during WWII..

Boilerplater
    Participant

After checking air photos on Google, I realized the Nevada photos are of Sun City Anthem and Anthem Country Club, just a few miles away from me. I’ve actually worked on some landscape plans for homes in there. On the ground level, it presents a rather sterile face and appears very controlled. Of course some of that control has fallen by the wayside as homes go into foreclosure and the water gets turned off. It doesn’t take long at all for those irrigated landscapes to turn brown.

The comments section is worth looking at. Trace is there too! Commenter #2 tries to make a point that places such as these create leanings to a certain type of (teabagger) politics. I’m not sure about that, but the point about these being “psychologically toxic” environments resonates with me. I’ve been here four years and I’ve encountered a LOT of psychologically toxic people. Is it the built environment, or is it because the economy is built on human weaknesses? What kind of people gravitate to such a place? Will I too become one of those “toxic” people?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register