Best Time to Send out Resume and Micro-Portfolio for Entrance level job?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE Best Time to Send out Resume and Micro-Portfolio for Entrance level job?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Denton Trotter
    Participant

What is the time frame that most firms look at when they are thinking of hiring a entrance level employee? Would it be best to send out 12 months, 6 months, 3 months, or less prior to being able to start the job?

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

Denton, from my experience…when a firm is looking for an entry level employee, they are looking to fill the position immediately. How i see it is firms will hire upper-level employees (principles/associates) in hopes of growing a company (this is usually a big step, and is not usually a hurried one). Mid-levelers (project managers) seem to come into the picture when companies start piling up a back log of projects that have not yet been started (eventhough this is more of a reactionary hiring, employers will still take a good amount of time to make sure that the project manager is going to be a good fit for the company). The hiring of entry levelers (staff/support), however, is almost purely a reaction of having too many projects ‘open’ which means that there are active deadlines that need to be met. In this situation they are trying to get someone in as soon as possible to help out with the level of work. Because of this, timing is very tricky and unpredictable, if you are sending out a resume in response to an ad there is a good chance they will contact you very quickly and if they are interested they will probably want you to start soon, whereas if you are just sending out resumes and portfolios to firms you are interested in…there is a good chance it will just sit around in the office until they hit the point that they need more help.

Denton Trotter
    Participant

Kevin,

Thank you for the information, I am hoping to continue to work at the firm I am at now Once I finish my last year, however I am not sure how comfortable I should be since they have a Registered LA in Kentucky who is a Partner. I am not so sure they will want to hire another LA. This is the reason I am looking to see what Deadlines I need to set for myself.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register