BLACK – 3 Arguments for Applying it in the Garden

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums DETAILS & MATERIALS BLACK – 3 Arguments for Applying it in the Garden

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Wiktor
    Participant

HOW IT’S WITH THIS BLACK. THIS IS A COLOR OR NOT A COLOR?

In painting lessons, the professor always explained to us that black is not a color, it is dirty, and in the painting we have to get it with different colors.
    The statements rolled out over and over again easily get stuck into the subconscious mind and I mistook it for my own opinion.
    For a long time I had such a conviction, both in terms of painting and garden design.

1. THERE IS IN NATURE.

Observing nature constantly, I noticed how black is close to nature and how well it interacts with the environment creating amazing compositions. Statements based on full-blown contrast.
    It coincided with the renaissance of black in the interiors. Designers are using it more and more often in bold sets.
    I was also inspired by a trip to Norway. Scandinavians often paint their homes in black. Perhaps this is due to the greater awareness of the surrounding nature. The Norwegians, who spend much time away from home, have more observation opportunities. In winter, wet trees are black, rocks take on graphite shades. Black also appears on the vertical planes so it stems straight from nature.

2. A PERFECT BACKGROUND.

The wall of the forest is a perfect background for the meadow. If you look closely, you will notice the black resulting from the contrast between light and shadow.

A wall of seaside dunes and grass growing next to it.
    Own example. I designed a garden in Szczecin, which did not have any concrete fence and veil. So I designed a 2.2 m high wall surrounding the entire space. It was not without controversy. Few people in Poland with ranks are separated from their neighbors in this way. The building itself looked like we were building a new building in the middle of the estate. I knew it would be black!
    The garden is very small, and black perfectly conceals the boundaries. It’s like a black hole. It enlarges the space by adding an impression of infinity. I managed to create the illusion of the depths of the forest thicket.
    I designed trees on its background. Intensely autumn-turning Tatar and birch clones “Dorenboos”, lavender. All plants were selected to stand out against the black. On its background, green or brown autumn leaves pop into the foreground as in a well-equipped photographic studio. Planting plants on such a clear background is pure pleasure.

The same color, on the same day, captured when the sun came out for a moment.

3. BLACK IS FASHIONABLE.
    My project coincided with the renaissance of black in interiors. Designers are using it more and more often in bold sets.

Secret Garden in Italy. Photo by Dario Fusaro.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register