Bollards vs. Dectable Warning Bands (California)

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums DETAILS & MATERIALS Bollards vs. Dectable Warning Bands (California)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Maxam, RLA
    Participant

We have a design where a walkway is flush and adjacent to a vehicular drive aisle. (Elderly Care Center)

I seem to remember being able to use bollards rather than detectable warnings to separate the 2 surfaces.

CBC (California Bldg Code) 1133B.8.5 says:

Provide a continuous band of detectable warning surface (36”
    deep) where a walk crosses or adjoins a vehicular way, and the
    walking surface is not separated from the hazardous vehicular
    way by curbs, railings or other elements.

The Question is:  do bollards counts as “Other Elements” and if so what is the required spacing for cane detection.  I can’t seem to find this in the CBC or DSA Access manual

Thanks for any help.

Robert Anderson
    Participant

Dustin,

I was just talking to some colleagues about this last week. I too recalled that there are accommodations for warnings other then truncated domes. The only thing I could find was in ADAAG A4.4.1 fig A4 for cane technique. The problem with this is that you end up having a preponderance of bollards. We are somewhat sensitive to forests of bollards here in the DC area because of there over use.

Good Luck in your search.

Robert

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

There is no other accomodation in the ADAAG other than truncated domes for detectable warning, that is pretty much the only thing in the ADAAG that does not have a substitue. Also, the DOT has adopted the 2′ deep truncated dome as the universal tactile warning device. There is no substitution.

Dustin Maxam, RLA
    Participant

Thanks guys for replying.  Here is what I found in the ADAAG:

The question still remains…

what it are “Other Elements” and do bollards at a certain spacing qualify?

4.29.5 Detectable Warnings at Hazardous Vehicular Areas.

If a walk crosses or adjoins a vehicular way, and the walking surfaces are not separated by curbs, railings, or other elements between the pedestrian areas and vehicular areas, the boundary between the areas shall be defined by a continuous detectable warning which is 36 in (915 mm) wide, complying with 4.29.2.

3.5 Definitions: 

Detectable Warning. A standardized surface feature built in or applied to walking surfaces or other elements to warn visually impaired people of hazards on a circulation path.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register