Books to Teach Planting Design

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

Design With Nature by Ian McHarg, Wjiley 1995 (reprint of 1971 original..) 

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

thanks

Trace One
    Participant
    Goustan BODIN
    Participant

*edit* time for thinking

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

Trace One, 

I want to thank you for that very important lesson you taught me today : do not let yourself and your discussion be dragged down into an argument you did not look for.

We spoiled the topic (I doubt anyone will want to share their books after this long digression), but I guess that’s the price to pay for the lesson.

Thank you again.

Calico
    Participant

In a feeble attempt to return the discussion to its original focus, the primer I used was Theodore Walker’s Planting Design (1991). It was geared toward landscape architects, but would be very straightforward for an instructor teaching motivated non-designers. The only real drawback a couple of decades later is that the illustrations and drawings looked dated even when I was in school.

Since your course will be directed to an audience that should be familiar with the botanic characteristics of the plants they will be likely to use, you should have a lot of fun focusing more on the artsy side of planting design than you’d otherwise be able to with a bunch of first-year college students. Your biggest obstacle (I think) will be getting your students to communicate graphically in a short course without wasting too much teaching time on the subject.

Good luck & have fun.

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

Attempt much appreciated, Book and comments duly noted, thanks !  😀

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

Who is A.E., Henry ?

Title, publishing, year ?

Please 🙂

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

I gotcha, like :

Moods in the Landscape: A.E. Bye by A. E. Bye (Jul 24, 2006)

or

Art into Landscape, Landscape into Art by A. E. Bye (Jun 1988)

Thanks ! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register