Bourj Hammoud Port (Waterfront)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ramzi al malti
    Participant

Hi
    I’m a final year student in the American University of Beirut and majoring in Landscape Design and Eco-System Management. My final year project is located in an important city in Lebanon called Bourj Hammoud. Basically the area of study starts of as a residential/commercial area (which is highly dense whether structure wise or population wise) and then is bisected by the highway and then the waterfront begins. This waterfronts is a heavy industrial area ranging from steel industry, to fuel storage tanks, to composting units…. All the wastes are dumped into the sea.

In addition to that, a lot of  pollution is occurring from water pollution to air pollution and to noise pollution. In this waterfront exists a fishermen harbor and is isolated from the society. My design concept is to integrate this harbor in the neighborhood  by making it a community space for the locals and further focusing on the  various fishermen activities (such as net weaving and boat making) without compromising them.

It would be really helpful if anyone can provide me with ideas on how to develop further in this case. Such as helping in ideas regarding the site analysis, site understanding, and further more design ideas.

ramzi al malti
    Participant

and i would like if anyone can help me with case studies as well regarding waterfront multifunctional landscaping (with respect to sea waterfronts not river or lakes)

Joy Younan
    Participant

fish market

Trace One
    Participant

Baltimore Harbor Waterfront Revitalization is a famous case study of successful design. Camden New Jersey, on the other hand, is unsuccessful..there are dozens of examples, though, just google “Waterfront Revitalization Projects” and start to read!

Les Ballard
    Participant

Oh how exciting but even the idea of networking to get laws with teeth must feel like getting yours pulled in relation to the pollution.    I would say the port will get what the government are willing to do and enforce but just the drawings and sketches could be nice even if pitched in tranches, sections being finished one at a time.  It is sad but true that whatever could be done, however, cannot be without waste schemes and that is what I would concentrate on from removal to an inland dump, to piecemeal collection, to having those responsible see to their own waste whatever form that takes.  

A nice waterfront for locals, tourists, etc. is always at odds with the real work and living earning that goes on, if any facility is to be used but, I suggest you incorporate a bridge, canal and/or island to separate one from the other.  So the fishing port, for example, would look picturesque from the cafe opposite across some water but not be accessible – or present a danger – to tourists.  There would be separate road access and parking and also to the heavier industrial area.  Finally, you may want to allow for a car ferry and vehicle access and exit.  This has to include heavy vehicles both to be carried and to supply the ships.  Most big companies will say if they have an interest in a port or route and what they would expect to invest in.  You need public transport for foot passengers too.  This can incorporate a private marina.  

The Lebanon has an interesting climate and flora/fauna and any local nature society including university groups should be able to say what would work there.  Wind turbines face from many coasts now and you may find an electric company willing to discuss one, on or off shore, but I know that a more welcome sight for visitors (apart from a good cheap coffee) would be the symbol on the flag – cedars!    Good luck.  

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register