CANADA – Masters of Landscape Architecture

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION CANADA – Masters of Landscape Architecture

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Carmen
    Participant

Hi, 

I am an urban planning graduate from New Zealand who is looking to study a masters in landscape architecture. 

Two I am particularly interested in are University of British Columbia and University of Guelph.

Which one is better – or what differences do they have?
    Has anyone attended these universities? If so, would you mind letting me know what you think about them? 

Cheers, 
    Carmen

Jasmine Davis
    Participant

Hi Carmen, 

The program at UBC is a very sought-after, making it highly competitive, but from my impression I would say that it’s probably the best program in Canada. One consideration that may or may not be important to you, the cost of living in British Columbia is extremely high compared to other provinces so it might be a good idea to research your living situation as well to make a holistic decision. 

Although I’ve never studied at UBC or have even visited the province for that matter, I did do my undergraduate degree at The University of Guelph and loved it. It’s a city with a small town feel but all of the amenities you would expect from an urban area, and the friendly small town atmosphere permeates the university. It’s a smaller campus which makes navigating your classes fairly simple, and the majority of students/staff/faculty are incredibly friendly and helpful.

I have a few close friends that are doing their BLA at Guelph and they really enjoy it for the most part. Unfortunately for their cohort, they didn’t have the option to take any courses regarding Photoshop, InDesign etc. but I think they’ve been added to the curriculum now. The faculty are also very inclusive, sending students information regarding design projects/contests, conferences and other events, and employment opportunities on a regular basis, really ensuring that students are kept up-to-date regarding news within the field. I hope this helps! Good luck 🙂

Carmen
    Participant

Hi Jasmine, 

Thanks for the comment ! 🙂 That is good to hear that there are options out there

On average, how many years of study is needed to become a registered landscape architect in North America?  Is a MLA required to do so?

Also how important is registration?

Cheers! 

Jasmine Davis
    Participant

Hi Carmen, 

I can’t speak for the US because I haven’t looked at many of their programs but in Canada there is only one undergraduate (4 year) program in LA and it’s at Guelph, or the 5 MLA programs are 3 years for first-professional degree applicants. I believe once you get your degree it’s common practice to spend a few years in the field before you take the LARE exams and become registered. You don’t need an MLA if you’ve already taken the undergraduate program, but you do if you want to become a practicing landscape architect and have no previous experience in the field academically. 

As far as the importance of registration goes, I think it would open up more opportunities and it’s almost like if you were going through medical school, but decided not to get your medical license… why shy away from the end goal? I hope that helps! If you want more information about landscape architecture in Canada and accredited programs you can check out the Canadian Society for Landscape Architects at http://csla-aapc.ca/. Subsequently the American Society at https://www.asla.org/ 

DC
    Participant

You need 2 years post-graduate work experience, plus all 4 LARE exam passes to become licensed.  During the two year period you have to complete internship information on a quarterly basis.  At this time you can also take your LARE exams.  So if you do things really streamlined, you can be licensed after 2 years.  That’s the minimum.  The requirements for licensed BC landscape architects are slightly more stringent than in Ontario.

I know people who have done Masters at both Universities and both loved it and are very successful.  You really can’t beat the scenery in Vancouver or the west coast, but Guelph is also great, and closer to Toronto, New York, etc.

Carmen
    Participant

It is just crazy how the time needed to become a landscape architect is nearly equivalent if not more if you don’t have a BLA! Definitely worried about the debt haha. 

But yea, I agree with you. If one has gone that far already, it makes sense to work towards registration.

Carmen
    Participant

Thanks DC, 

That’s good to hear that both are good options. However, do you feel like some consultancies prefer one over the other? Or whether the two courses have slightly different focuses? – e.g. one with more of an environmental focus and the other with a design focus?

Cheers! 

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Some misinformation – Each state in the US has its own requirement for becoming a Registered Landscape Architect. Most require a BLA or BSLA from an accredited program, two years of internship, and passing of L.A.R.E., but not all. Some accept other “experience” or other education. Some require internship, some do not,

This is a pretty thorough link to each state’s requirement.:

https://www.asla.org/AdvocacyTools.aspx?id=11664

This is for accredited schools:

https://www.asla.org/schools.aspx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register