Canon or Epson Plotter?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gregg Spadaro
    Participant

I am currently in the market for a large format plotter that can handle both color and bw. Although I sometimes print 30×42, most of my prints are 24×36 so going with a smaller model. I am trying to balance many options such as initial price, size, cost of ink, quality, options, etc. After a lot of research, I have narrowed my search to the Epson t3270 and the Canon ipf685. Both are just under $3k but there is a nice Black Friday deal on the Epson. Does anyone have experience with either of these plotters? I would specifically like to know if I need the Adobe Postscript 3 Hardware Module add on for the Epson in order to print PDF documents. Thank you in advance.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I don’t have experience with the Epson. I can tell you that I am very pleased with the very affordable HP T120 (24″) that I bought last spring. I’m particularly happy with the ink consumption being low. I got it on sale for $850 directly from the HP website. I just bought a full re-stock of ink for $136.

Most of my plans are b&w, so I like to use very fine lines in plant symbols. I’m pleased with the print of the fine lines.

Another thing that works for me is that I have limited space and I have it on top of a flat file rather than on a separate stand.

The Epson or Canon may be better for you, but I thought I’d share my experience with the T120 just in case it will work for you. I did not have high expectations for the T120, but I’m completely happy with it.

Gregg Spadaro
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Andrew. I looked at the HP’s and found that the cost of ink per ml was higher than the other 2. Good to hear that ink cost is a non-issue. Will have to give it another look.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I replaced my black starter ink with an 80 ml for the second time just last week. I bought the printer in February. I’ve gone through at least 10 rolls of 24″x 150′ bond using mostly b&w line drawings. I just replaced the starter color ink (12ml) with 29 ml cartridges.

This is an image of my typical 24″x 36″ b&w print with some parts blurred out as an example of my ink demands. I have printed at least 350 of similar prints. I do color renderings for presentation drawings, but not very often … probably 20 since I bought this. Depending on your needs, it may be just as good for you.

Gregg Spadaro
    Participant

It sounds like your printing volume is similar to mine for both bw and color. Thanks again for sharing Andrew.

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

hp-120

I’ve used hp since the early 90″s,,,

never have had even a service call needed…

my friends with calcomps and summas complain

that they are always needing repairs…sooooo…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register