Chicago landscape architecture tour

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Chicago landscape architecture tour

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Aiyou Zhu
    Participant

Hi, I know Chicago has its Architecture Tour which is quite popular, but can anyone recommend a Landscape architecture tour there?

I am not familiar with Chicago at all, but I really want to visit some waterfront and industrial revitalization projects. Anyone has some recommendations?

Thanks!

Brett Lezon
    Participant

Here’s what I’d recommend for landscape architecture related projects.  Of course, Millennium Park/Lurie Garden.  In addition, Adams & Sangamon Park, Michigan Avenue streetscape (it is almost winter, but still nice!), Grant Park, Soldier Field Grounds (in the winter it serves many purposes, but is a popular sledding hill), Northerly Island Park, Lake Shore East Park, Aqua Tower + site (the project is by Jeanne Gang and has won numerous awards), Chicago Poetry Foundation building + site (just opened summer 2011).  I would recommend venturing to Lincoln Park, Lakeview, or Oak Park if you have time.  Lots of nice residences and smaller parks plus some Frank Lloyd Wright homes in Oak Park if you’re into that.  Also, Garfield Park Conservatory is great!  The fern room was designed by Jens Jensen.  Go to Portillo’s for lunch at 100 W Ontario St for hot dogs, italian beef, etc.  One of my favorite lunch destinations.  Have a great trip!  When are you visiting?

Aiyou Zhu
    Participant

Thanks, that’s a great help!

I will be there from 26 to Jan.3, and just going to sketch a lot there to study the projects. Plus, I am been thinking about the topic for thesis so hope I can find some inspiration from the trip.

Brett Lezon
    Participant

That’s a great time of year to visit Chicago!  There will be lots of energy from the upcoming New Year.  Have a great time!  If you’re interested in an organized walking tour I’d recommend the Chicago Architecture Foundation http://www.architecture.org/ 

Aiyou Zhu
    Participant

Thanks again!

i think that would be a awesome trip!

Brett Lezon
    Participant

Also, you may be interested in visiting Navy Pier.  Currently, it is a major tourist attraction and “hodge podge” of design.  However, it is the site of an international design competition.  As of now, they have narrowed the finalists down to five teams.  The winning team will be selected in late Feb 2012 to redesign Navy Pier.  Here’s a link to a brief article that examines the five teams.  http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-navy-pier-1124-20111124,0,4913912.story

Aiyou Zhu
    Participant

That sounds interesting, and i am wondering if there are any industrial renovation projects like North Duisburg Landscape Park in Chicago?

Brett Lezon
    Participant

I’m not aware of any industrial renovation projects similar to Duisburg in Chicago. 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register