CHINA SWEEPS ASLA Awards–Your Thoughts?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION CHINA SWEEPS ASLA Awards–Your Thoughts?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Rainer
    Participant

Rising Star’s Yu Kongjian’s Radical Vision:

Design firm Turenscape in concert with Peking University Graduate School of Landscape Architecture virtually swept this year’s ASLA awards, winning an unprecedented three of the twelve design awards, including the prestigious Award of Excellence and two Honor Awards. The group beat out the hugely popular Highline, New York’s elevated rail park, anticipated by many to win this year’s top award.

Read more at http://www.groundeddesign.com

Should these projects have beaten the Highline?

Trace One
    Participant

I could not believe the High Line didn’t win..A lot of the US teams were same ones as usual – Warren Byrd in Virginia, Wlm. McDonough, Val Valkenburg and Oehme Van Sweden….Some good new names, though.. – oh, yeah, the Beirut one was exciting..Why is china winning? What do you think? Better computer graphics? (no, I’m not snarky! 🙂

nca
    Participant

I just noticed that all three projects recognize a partnership between Turenscape and Peking University. What’s up with that?I thought professional awards were for professional projects? So can MVVA partner with GSD and win an award next year?

Otherwise, I think the projects are good. They offer a bit of change from the usual, though I think ASLA has a tendencey toward the academic, of which I think those projects fit well. They also all sort of have the same theme dont they?

howl
    Participant

Kongjian Yu is the chair of Turenscape as well as the head of school of landscape architecture in Peking University.

Im personally quite happy to see more non-American projects winning this reward, ASLA has been dominated by “American Style” since long ago. On the one hand, as an American based organization of course it should focus on domestic projects more ; on the other, in a time when globalization effectively shapes landscape designs all over the world and makes them look more and more similar or just simply “American-like”, as one of the most influential LA awards in the world, ASLA may also need to think beyond “community, ecology and delight”.
    Every year’s award winning designs undoubtedly influence the aesthetic of the world-wide profession and therefore indirectly transfer the land around people.
    American-centrism or Cultural Diversity ?
    I think this year’s ASLS awards give a strong and thoughtful answer!

nca
    Participant

So it would be Ok for the chair of Harvard GSD to enter an academic project? Maybe this has already been done?

I know that the awards jury reviews projects anonymously, but I would think it would seem pretty obvious to me if I were on the jury the geographic location of these projects. Are these really The Best or is there some agenda or ‘cultural sway’ evidenced here?

With rampant job loss here in the states, there has been much talk of work overseas, particularly in China and Asia. What kind of message is this sending the global community, using student talent in professional work? Especially when the issue of unemployment and unpaid internships is coming to a head here in the U.S.?

Boilerplater
    Participant

Meh. If I had to work with their labor costs, lack of public participation/nimbyism in the design process, a forward-thinking population with enthusiasm for new construction in the built environment, and government policies that encourage development, I could build some pretty cool places as well! ; )

I just read an interesting article about a speech by NU guru Andres Duany and others where they’re criticizing the whole public process as a force that pretty much stops anything worthwhile from being built. I have to agree with a lot of it. See: http://www.planetizen.com/node/43935

nca
    Participant

Thanks for the read

Adam Trujillo
    Participant

I’m on the fence about it. There is definitely a difference between international and domestic projects. As Boilerplater kind of got into above. I appreciate that ASLA has reached out internationally and I think it is really important that they do. It just seems like it’s a little bit tougher for the domestic projects to compete. Though this is not to say that this year’s domestic project winners aren’t great projects, there is just difference. And I hope that Turenscape’s award winning projects help inspire a few of those types of projects over here in the States because boy do we need them.

nca
    Participant

http://www.turenscape.com/english/news/view.php?id=204

I just noticed that they permalinked our discussion to the Turenscape website. Interesting.

Tosh K
    Participant

There’s much to be said for how a team markets their project here as well. I must say that Turenscape’s projects carry a lot of impact – “Art of Survival” by Dr. Yu in its full glory is something to behold. I think it is very important to note that in most cases Turenscape has had to convince the local governments in China to do these projects that emphasize ecology and a local aesthetic instead of recreating famous European landscapes.

The firm is strongly tied to the university and shares many resources – they are a counter point to Tsinghua University and EDAW’s partnership; emphasizing Chinese culture and values in design. Having interned there briefly I see no stronger ties there than many of the practices States-side that have practitioner/instructors.

As for the emphasis on slightly academic projects, I commend the ASLA for awarding projects that push our profession. Doing good projects well should be expected and those that help bring the profession forward in the discourse of landscape architecture should be recognized for their contributions.

I only hope that practitioners here in the States can be inspired by the possibilities China has shown us and convince our governments and the public to take more risks in reshaping our landscapes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register