Could anyone on the premises restore or design an installation without buying plants in nurseries?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Could anyone on the premises restore or design an installation without buying plants in nurseries?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TITANIO THE HUMBLE
    Participant

I have…

http://www.guiaverde.com/blog/destacadas/jardin-tropical-en-puerto-rico

Until next…

X
    Inbox
    X
    Steve Martino
    Participant

absolutely, i have always thought you could design an entire garden with plants people throw out in the alley for the trash men to take away. i have salvaged numerous plants for my garden by just finding them. when i trim my succulents and cactus from my garden i hate to throw them out. i put them in salvaged nursery cans from my projects, after they are rooted i give them away to clients and friends. the agaves on the opening page of my blog are all salvaged ‘pups’ from another one of my projects. palm fronds have been used for shade structures forever.

http://stevemartino.blogspot.com/

TITANIO THE HUMBLE
    Participant

It is stimulating to receive such response.  In Puerto Rico, that is not the case.  Every installation in the concrete/asphalt isle is contaminated with chefferas, Ficus hedges, lawns and palm trees as any one could confirm in  recent posts regarding Pendemismo Paijasista, the dominant trend/school for the last 40 or 50 years.  caribbeanbotanicalreview and antigonumcajaneveningpost.blogspot,com have presented examples and options to the dull installations no matter if in humid/wet/cool in the center or hot/dry ecoregions not far from the coast.

mark foster
    Participant

I landscape the homes I have lived in using mostly “dumpster plants”.  I also pay keen attention to the “infirmary” sections of the wholesale nurseries.  Very unusual things can be found there.

TITANIO THE HUMBLE
    Participant

I have a collection of over 100 species. I have bought maybe 5 plants in the last five years in nurseries.  The landscape architects in Puerto Rico, ignorant of botany, final size of anything after five years, composition and else…Go to Home Depot, and design, install the same plant selection no matter if the residence is worth a million or 2 hundred thousand.  Much worse, the placement of the chosen ones is always the same in trios, triangles or rows as in an edible garden in straight line or silly curves.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register