Documenting Work Experience: What are the Categories?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE Documenting Work Experience: What are the Categories?

• This topic has 1 reply, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by JA.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jason T. Radice
    Participant

A BSArch is not considered an equivalent degree in my state.Almost any degree other than an BLA, MLA, or certain BSLAs or sometimes an ornamental horticulture degree will qualify you to sit for the LARE. Exceptions are indeed rare, and must be accompanied by substantial experience.  In most cases, a BSArch is not a professional level degree that will not qualify you to take the AREs (some may be, but not all). A BArch won’t even get you into the LARE here. Even a PE would have a hard time sitting for the exam without having 10 years under an LA. They are not similar degrees. You might want to check your state registration board right away before you start going down the path too far.

JA
    Participant

In GA, the language is vague.  As I mentioned, the Board says ‘equivalent’ degree.  I have written them to clarify if my degree is equivalent.  If it is, I may try to meet all other reqts, such as working for a LArch (in GA, it’s 18 mos w/out an MLA).

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

wow, did I ever make some typos in there! It should state that any degree OTHER than a BLA, MLA or certain CLARB accredited BSLAs will not qualitfy you to take the LARE. You will need to go the other route of working under a LA for a decade before you would qualify for a license. The language is vague to allow for some flexibility, but the exceptions are rare and you must have an equivalent education, just not the accredited degree.  

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

I was really confused by what you wrote, Jason, and was just about to ask about it. Thanks for clarifying.

My question to JA still is why you’re concerned about this at all? It seems to me that there are other credentials more closely related to building architecture that would give you more of an advantage in the marketplace than trying to find a licensed LA who will mentor you for the next 10+ years. If you want to be a landscape architect, go get an MLA; it will be faster and you can avoid the scorn that often comes from LAs when Architects try to do “our” work. (See some other threads for that discussion.)

JA
    Participant

Well, I guess that I just have a belief that the design of structures & the actual land with which they co-exist are not separate endeavours.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I do to, but designing structures and designing the land are two different educational and professional disciplines. And from vast experience (I have always worked in architecture offices), Architects clearly do not have any idea how to do the latter.  

JA
    Participant

OK, I’d like to return to my original question & rephrase it a bit:

Q:  Does the CLARB Council Record break down Work Experience Categories like the LARE

categories as mentioned before in this Discussion?

Those categories were:

• Landscape Architecture Desgin
    • Planting Design / Planting Construction Drawings
    • Grading and Drainage and Stormwater Management
    • Detail Construction Drawings
    • Specification Writing
    • Project Administration and Construction

I do understand that each state has their specifics, but I am only asking about CLARB’s Council Record.  After that, I’ll leave everyone alone :/

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

From my Council Record, “Section 3: Indicate Skills Performed.” All are Yes/No answers.

Project and Construction Administration    

Inventory, Analysis and Program Development

Site Design

Detailed Construction Drawings

Grading, Drainage, and Stormwater Management

Teaching/Research

Onsite Construction, Maintenance, or Installation

Planting Design

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

I don’t disagree with that either. I was simply trying to understand why you, as an architect with an architectural education, would be so interested in “gaining Landscape Architecture Work Experience,” as if that would qualify you to be a PLA. It would be similar to me asking you how many seminars I should go to before I call myself an architect and submit a design for the next great public building in your city. That would certainly be shortchanging the educational and professional development that you, and all other architects, have gone through.

Gaining new experience and learning about allied professions so you can be a better design professional is an admirable goal. (Honestly, I just wish some people I work with would learn to not move/rotate the survey base to 0,0 world-coordinates, let alone actually trying to understand how site and grading plans go together…) Your question, however, indicated to me something quite different from that quest for knowledge. Perhaps I misunderstood you.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register