Documenting Work Experience: What are the Categories?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE Documenting Work Experience: What are the Categories?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    JA
    Participant

Please help out a lowly ‘Architect’ here.  I want to start my process for gaining Landscape Architecture Work Experience.  As Architecture’s NCARB has it’s IDP & Interior Designers have NCIDQ’s IDEP, I would like to ask for a description of CLARB’s equivalent to these Work Exp Documenting Programs.

I would specifically like to ask if CLARB’s Program has specific categories with minimum hours req’d per category.  For example, in the Architect world, IDP requires 1200 hours of Construction Documents, 80 hours of Site Planning, etc. 

The Questions:  What is CLARB’s breakdown of req’d hours?  Or better yet:  Does CLARB require hours in specific categories?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

JA
    Participant

After a bit of checking, I think what I am asking about is the categories in CLARB’s ‘Council Record’.

nca
    Participant

Maybe you’re confusing me or I’m just confusing myself but typically to earn LA licensure one only needs a bachelors or masters degree (in CO its ANY degree which is ludicrous) PLUS two years under a licensed landscape architect. With your architecture education plus two years experience I’m thinking thats all you need to sit. Sorry if I’m misunderstanding..

Tosh K
    Participant

CLARB is no where near a pain as NCARB, I guess they trust the state boards more (IDP’s intent is good but requiring such an over diligent documentation clearly points to a lack of self discipline in the profession).  In most states you can sit for the exam at any time, you can’t get licensed until you fulfill the state’s requirements (eg in NY you have to work under a NY licensed LA); most states have wording such as “diversified experience” which is determined by the state board when you apply (in most cases your references should qualify you anyway).

JA
    Participant

That seems to be what I am finding, as well.  The most challenging part for me will be to gain the 18 months work exp req’d in my State.  Anyway, would you, or anyone ‘tuning in’, be able to tell me what  the COuncil record’s specific Categories are?

I noticed that CLARBs LARE guide has breakdowns into Sections A -through- E.  Does the Council Record follow those categories?  I already have a Spreadsheet put together which converts my actual work hours into NCARB, PMP, NCIDQ Work Reqts.  I would like to know the actual CLARB categories so that I can add LA to that spreadsheet.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

The work experience breakdown is up to the State licensing board, as is the method for recording it. For me, it was simply filling out copied forms the State mailed me when I requested an application to sit for the LARE. Every state is different. We are not anywhere close to be as advanced or organized as Architects when it comes to exams or qualifications; each state makes up their own rules as to how much education and work experience is required to sit for the exam in that state.

BTW, the LARE exam has just changed from a 5 part (two charette practical exams hand drawn on vellum and three multiple choice done on the computer at a Prometric center) to a 4 part (all done on the computer at a Prometric center). I’m a real man, I did it the old fashioned way in the sweaty, stale aired room with uncomfortable chairs and wobbly tables in two days for the practicals.  

Chris Whitted
    Participant

I wouldn’t call “A professional degree from a program accredited by the landscape architectural accreditation board, or any successor organization, or education or experience determined by the board to be substantially equivalent” just ANY degree, though it may technically meet that definition.

As others have already mentioned it’s up to the state for specifics, so you’ll have to read your state’s rules and/or application.  For CO, the application requests the percentage of time spent (totaling 100% for each job you have held) in six categories:

Landscape Architecture Desgin

Planting Design / Planting Construction Drawings

Grading and Drainage and Stormwater Management

Detail Construction Drawings

Specification Writing

Project Administration and Construction

There are no specific hour requirements, just that you have a total of x years of experience (and I say x because it varies depending on education). Since I don’t have a CLARB record I can’t comment on their format(s), but I was under the impression they really only track test scores and continuing education requirements. Their own requirements for even sitting for the exam are more stringent than some state’s requirements and don’t always have to be met.

JA
    Participant

Thanks, that looks about like the answer(s0 that I was hoping to get.  Here, in GA, the LA Board’s reqt’s are that you have 18months, unspecified experience, working directly for a L/Arch.  The degree reqt is interesting, because it specifies a L/Arch degree…or ‘equivalent’.  I am hoping that my BS Arch is ‘equivalent’.  If so, it’s good for me, but I will respect that a BLArch or MLArch would have precedence.

ANyway, the stagnant economy for Archts in this ‘new world’ has given me lots of time to focus on some long delayed post-nominals…

JA
    Participant

Yeah, Macho!  I kinda miss that hand-to-pencil-to-paper connection myself.  Here’s wishing you good results on your exam.

BTW, not being as ‘organized’ as Architects for documenting Work Exp is really a good thing.  IDP for us has been frustrating & consfusing over the years.  I waited about 20 yrs to do my IDP & I’m gld that I did because they finally got everything online & eliminated the need to submit mounds of papers to NCARB.  What’s really reprehensible abt IDP is that in 2010, NCARB started the infamous ‘6-month rule’  – document work exp w/in 6 mos, or you lose the experience.  Hence, my ‘cramming’ to document my Work Exp.  Maybe it got me off my butt, but my Experience, is MY Experience & not something that a Board should decide to cancel just because less people are joining NCARB.  ANyway, I s’pose that’s a rant for an Architect’s Forum, sorry ya’ll.

JA
    Participant

Just outta curiosity:  Which State has the most difficult (or p.i.t.a.) requirements.  That might be the best for me to build my experience around.

nca
    Participant

Hey Chris,

I went back and looked here : http://www.dora.state.co.us/la/Statute.pdf

and couldn’t find the passage that I read a year ago, so I stand corrected. I was shocked to at the time to find that ANY undergrad degree plus experience would suffice. Guess I misread.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

It brings up a good point, though. I used to work in architecture offices, and most of my friends are architects, so I know the pains of NCARB. I do like their system of maintaining hours and CEUs online (yea, the transition was tough, though). I had to fill my hours paperwork out after the fact. It would have been nice to fill it out as I was going along, and online to boot.

Chris Whitted
    Participant

Nick – Maybe you were looking at an earlier draft or the bylaws?  Or perhaps thinking of the CLARB requirements to sit for the test, as they will take any degree plus three years of experience. Or it might have just been another state. I know for a while there before we got our act passed people were getting registered in either WY or MT (can’t remember which), because the requirements were so lax – little beyond take the test and pass.

JA – I would think your BLArch would suffice. Usually those types of design and engineering related degrees are what they had in mind.  CLARB even has some specifics about Arch degrees in their test requirements. Also, you might read the actual application for more info if you haven’t.  CO’s bylaws and statute just talk about years of experience – it’s not until you get into the actual application form that you see those categories.

I’m not aware of a single site/resource that compares all of the state’s requirements for education, experience, and continuing education; mostly because the laws vary so much and can be so complex. I know at one point there was a list out there that was the straight BLA plus X years by state, but I can’t find it now and no idea if it would still be current.  ASLA has a map with links to each state’s board and laws, but that’s about as close as it gets. Probably nobody wants to make sure everything is kept current, so they just link to the original sources.

http://www.asla.org/StateGovtAffairsLicensure.aspx

Tosh K
    Participant

ny state has a 3yr (2yr in ny) rule that is more stringent than the neighboring states. CA, MA and FL (and maybe others) have challenging state specific sections (a state can require more sections) in their exam requirements.

I lost a few years worth of hrs in the 6-month rule change in IDP; every year I pay into that system aggravates me – it’s a heck of a lot easier in landscape and in engineering, i suppose it’s an effective way of weeding out some people.

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

Wait, I’m really confused. You are an architect with a BS Arch(itecture) degree and you are concerned about gaining credentials so you can practice Landscape Architecture too? Without a BLA/MLA?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register