Does Overseas Experience Count Towards RLA Registration?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE Does Overseas Experience Count Towards RLA Registration?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #150993
    Thomas MacDonald

    I have a question regarding landscape architecture registration requirements in Texas.  I am a native Houstonian and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 2015 with a Masters of Landscape Architecture.  During my studies and for about three months after graduation I worked under registered landscape architects in Texas and Pennsylvania.  In November 2015 I took a job in Australia, and have been working at a major firm under registered Australian landscape architects since then.

    Can anyone tell me if the time I have spent working under registered landscape architects in Australia will be counted towards meeting the 2-year working experience requirement for registration in Texas?

    I realise that this is a state-specific question but perhaps the Land8 community can share some insight.  I have emailed the Texas Board of Architectural Examiners with this question but I expect they will be quite slow to respond. 

    Kind regards,


    Thomas MacDonald

    I just received some good news on this from the Texas Boards of Architectural Examiners:

    “The experience gained in Australia will count, with a letter from the Regulating Board verifying your supervisors registration.”



    That really is GREAT news……that your LA experience in Australia will count towards the required experience you need to become a Licensed LA in The State of Texas.  I definitely think that experience should count!

    If you haven’t already begun….you should be thinking about getting started towards passing the various sections of the L.A.R.E. exam….it’s my understanding, that it’s NOT an easy thing or cheap to accomplish.  But, there are some very good L.A.R.E. study seminars you can register for in various U.S. cities….that should help you expedited the process.

    Having passed the L.A.R.E. exam……and then, having worked for a Licensed LA for a min. of 2 yrs….you will be eligible to apply for an LA License in The State of Texas.  Once you get licensed in one State….you can normally apply for reciprocity in most other States.  Though, some States, like California, Nevada & Florida do have an additional State Exam you would need to pass….maybe other States as well.

    Also, be sure to stay on top of your “continuing education” requirements once you are licensed….and keep good records of those courses you took.  And, do yourself a big favor…and as you move forward in your LA career…continue to build your “Professional LA Portfolio” and guard it well…’s your ticket to your future!  

    Feel free to contact me should you need any assistance or advise along the way.  I’m a Texan too….spent most of my LA career in the Dallas area.

    Best Regards,

    J. Robert (Bob) Wainner      Email:

    Thomas MacDonald

    Great info, thanks Bob!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password