Elementary school master/site plan examples?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums RESEARCH Elementary school master/site plan examples?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    nca
    Participant

Does anyone have any projecy suggestions, built or otherwise of a reall cool elementray school?

Thanks!

Les Ballard
    Participant

Ask the kids!

Luv n Lite

Les Ballard

Chris Cheraso
    Participant

What is the setting? Any interesting topo to work with?

nca
    Participant

Yes, actually there is some interesting topo both on and off site. We’ll have grading and drainage issues. Interesting, sort of retro architecture and excellent views to mountains.

The site is basically a clean slate otherwise with mostly residential and open space surrounding. I’m generating program right now, so some examples of what has been successful and creative at other schools would be good to see.

Basically, I’m trying to avoid using the word ‘precedents.’

Todd Severson
    Participant

I work for Gage Davis Associates in Scottsdale, AZ. We are a professional consulting firm that provides specialized land planning and development consultation services. We recently completed a master plan for a K-12 LEED certified school in the Denver area in concert with DLR group as the project architects.

The site was classified as a greenfield with significant slope from north to south. These plans may be of use to generate a few ideas.

Ciao-

nca
    Participant

Excellent Todd, thanks!

Our site also has significant grade change and will likely be leed certified.

Thanks for taking the time to attach plans, much appreciated. Nice work too btw..

Lawrence Greene
    Participant

I don’t have any cool comments to add about school-campus design, just questions:

Do you know the availability/capacity of the on-off site infrastructure (water, sewer, drainage?
    What are the onsite soils?
    What are the local and state Permits that are required?
    Will the school program include Natural Grass fields, if so will you need to incorporate an onsite well for irrigation?
    Will the school program include an Artificial grass fields?
    What is the Bus Traffic-Routes (Number of Buses)
    Will there be any concerns/issues with site distance at the School entrance?
    What is the availablity and status of walkways on abutting streets so kids are able and willing to walk to school?

Grant Beerling
    Participant

Designing an Infants (5-7 yrs) playground, no climbing equipment of water as that is already covered elsewhere on the site., stay in touch and i will forward the master plan plus sketch plans. 3rd year project. Should be done Early Jan (hand in 11/01/10).
    Tough, but come up with a few idea’s.

Watch this space….

Grant

nca
    Participant

Lots of specifics I know little about at this point.

Will the school program include an Artificial grass fields?
    No.
    What is the Bus Traffic-Routes (Number of Buses)
    Will there be any concerns/issues with site distance at the School entrance?
    Two separate lots, one for bus, one for parents. seven buses min.
    What is the availablity and status of walkways on abutting streets so kids are able and willing to walk to school?
    There are surrounding neighborhoods with walks, some of which connect off site.

nca
    Participant

Okay, thanks.

Trace One
    Participant

we worked with a west philadelphia elementary school with Ann Spirn, and the kids needed asphalt – and walls – most effective surfaces for urban ball playing..It was really fun..and in addition, we did a small enclosed garden for reading..but the play spaces all wanted to be asphalt..

nca
    Participant

Interesting. It sounds like a different animal dealing in urban space.

I think we’ll have a lot of space for program, but it’ll be ‘tight’ still if that makes sense. I just remembered EDAW (rip) did a project for (i think) an elementary school in cincinatti about a decade ago that looked pretty interesting. If anyone remembers the name that would be a help.

Cliff See
    Participant

curious if you came up with a prelim site plan? can you post if possible, i would like to take a glance!, I may be doing something similar (but not an american site)

nca
    Participant

Here’s an older site plan rendering I did a couple months ago. Some of the planting and hardscape changed, but the concept is basically the same. I had A LOT of trouble finding good school site plan examples. I found a website called designshare that has a case studies section on sustainable schools. That was slightly helpful.

We designed everything from parking to seatwalls in this plan. The basic ideas are two separate parking lots, one for visitors and parents, and te other for staff and bus drop-off. I tried to create pockets of intimate space without creating dangerously concealed spaces, so teachers can have a clear view of the kids while allowing for active and passive uses. There was a handful of program items that needed to be accomodated like specific play equipment, striped concrete/asphalt for games, etc. The planting is entirely native with a little interpretive trail that climbs to a high point with views west to the Colorado Rockies and boulder seating areas.

The building and site will be LEED certified and construction begins in a couple months. The bids came in under budget. Hope that helps more than what I was finding. I think we need to build better schools, and school sites for learning. There is a larger copy iof the plan in my folio if you cant read this one. If you have any other questions or curious about detaisl let me know.

nca
    Participant

Here’s an updated rendering of the final plan you can read.

SVVSD ES26 100% Site Rendering 4-22-2010[1].pdf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register