ethnobotanical study of plant used by midwifery for pre and post-natal care.

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLANTS & HORTICULTURE ethnobotanical study of plant used by midwifery for pre and post-natal care.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ahmad naqiuddin
    Participant

anyone do have suggestions,journal,reading material regarding the topic please shared with me. it is about traditonal approach of malay community in malaysia in utilize plants for pre&post-natal care.i appreciate for any comments

Les Ballard
    Participant

For doctors, chemists, etc. The Royal Homeopathic Hospital does a course that will help you in this respect, but:

As you can grow most things in Malaysia, I suggest you seek information from anywhere on this subject to use either the natural plant or drug extracted from it. In my part of Europe the relevant plants are well known and available from drug stores and health shops. (n.b. formulations vary for different purposes, e.g., St. John’s Wort is often formulated for depression in women and, while it can be used for post natal depression, it has traditionally been used in pregnancy.) However, your best bet to add to general knoweldge in this area would seem to be to approach village shamans and native midwives and scientifically test the plants they can recommend to and show you, with the emphasis on preparation and formulation. Good luck.

Luv n Lite
    Les Ballard

Rico Flor
    Participant

Hi Ahmad. You might want to try to find a copy of ED Merill’s Flora Manila. Since we basically belong to the same region, you could check out similar ethnobotanic uses. I do know that Alstonia scholaris is an abortifacient, as used by the local medicine men or ‘albularyo’. Also, the infusion, steamed (akin to inhalant, in a way) of guava (Psidium guajava), calamansi (Citrus microcarpa) leaves, and/or lemon grass/tanglad (Cimpbopogon citratus) is used as treatment after delivery to bring down swelling and as a disinfectant. Also, check out publications of Ernesta Quintana and Ludivina de Padua, both professors in the University of the Philippines studying this field.

For sure, talking to your Botany professor (especially one specializing in systematics) will surely help.

Finally, you’ll be amazed as to how many related PDF articles Google coughs up.

Good luck.

ahmad naqiuddin
    Participant

thanks for helping.im planning to go to people u suggested. juz from my general knowledge, malay do massage for women during pregnancy.however,i’ll ensure that later onn.thank you Les Ballard

ahmad naqiuddin
    Participant

thanks Rico.!thats really help.i’ll look forward the material you suggested later on.thanks again for your help

Syaryzad
    Participant

Hi Ahmad,

Ethnobotanical plants is gaining popularity in Malaysia and I presume, there is a lot of publications by MARDI on the related topic. However, most of the books or journal touches on cosmetic and health base types of plants. Some of these plants are used widely in pre and post natal care by the midwifes. Try check out with MARDI on their research studies on this topic. Plus you might want to consider the three major races in Malaysia which is the Malay, Chinese and India types of treatments as that too could influence the types of planting used.

Hope it helps abit in directing you straight to the sources~
    Good Luck!

ahmad naqiuddin
    Participant

thank u sharyzad!i’ll look for the sources.MARDI

Sarah McCandliss
    Participant

Here is a link to a great company that finds sustainably grown herbs and such used by different kinds of practitioners: Auyerveda, Chinese medicine, aromatherapy, etc.: http://www.floracopeia.com. Maybe they could hook you up with some of their products and sources for this kind of thing.

ahmad naqiuddin
    Participant

i’ll look forward the wbsite.thanks sarah!

Effen
    Participant

Hawaii’s Bishop Museum with it’s reference of la’au lapa’au, hawaiian herbal medicine my help. Some hawaiian plants have been brought by early polynesians from Asia.

http://www2.bishopmuseum.org/ethnobotanydb/index.asp

There are many plants used by native healers specifically for the use of pre and post natal care.

Aloha, Effen.

Bill Wilber
    Participant

Ahmad –
    Not sure if you found the info you were looking for….
    But http://www.pfaf.org (Plants for a Future) is a great resource for edible and medicinal plants.
    I used it extensively for a Tranquility Garden I recently completed at Flagler Hospital in St. Augustine, Florida.
    In that project 95% of the installed plant material has a medicinal heritage.
    It was quite challenging.
    Good luck with your project.
    – Bill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register