Favorite Landscape Architecture Words… Brainstorm

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums RESEARCH Favorite Landscape Architecture Words… Brainstorm

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Thanks for your help everyone! Keep’em coming…

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

I like this one – “threshold fallow regimes”. Huh?

Ben Yahr
    Participant

Optimize the compromise.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Ha! Nice one…

Trace One
    Participant

There are all kinds of fun landform words, also, like ‘hoodoos’ , that this makes me think of…karst-fenster, slump, table-land,…a whole book of these came out a few years ago, really interesting…

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Really? Do you remember the title of this book? Hoodoos is a fun word…

Trace One
    Participant

I looked the other day and couldnt’ find it – it was a big glossy well-marketed book..I will try again – seems like it came out like four years ago – I’ll get back to you…

Trace One
    Participant

I think I found it, Andrew – Home Ground, Language for an American Landscape, edited by Barry Lopez, Trinity University Press – good words in there – krumholz…I think that was the one I remembered..I found it on the New York Times Book Review, search the Book Review since 1981 button, (NOT the whole New York Times…) and there is a pretty interesting review pops up – have not looked for that book anywhere else (amazon, or something) so that is all I know! (I put ‘land vocabulary’ for a search term..)
    good luck –

David Lorberbaum
    Participant

Landon,
    Also, if you were attempting to really impress someone or just wanted a different term for “sense of place” you can go with Genus loci.

6 to one person, half dozen to another person.

Trace One
    Participant

in the cliche department, “outdoor rooms”

Bob Luther
    Participant

My favorite Landscape Architectural term is ha-ha. I have always wanted to put one in a design but as of yet have never had the opportunity.

Landon Davidson
    Participant

In every Landscape journal i’ve read they use more than their fair share of the words paradigm and milieu.

Trace One
    Participant

the batter of a wall. (hee hee!~) footings is a funny word, really..eyelid dormer..friable soil..most of the construction words are fairly silly, when you think about it – rebars, brushed aggregate, vanishing edge, dbh or at the ‘flange’, drip-line, tip die-back, soil horizons, flemish bond (-age – just kidding!), pierced wall,

how’s that for a thought-train..anybody else going in that direction?

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Funny.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

lol … that was awesome.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register