Favorite Landscape Architecture Words… Brainstorm

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums RESEARCH Favorite Landscape Architecture Words… Brainstorm

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Clayton Munson
    Participant

I think it’s funny when tv show hosts start throwing around the words “green” and “sustainable”.

Ben Yahr
    Participant

“Going green” makes me sick!

Tim Waterman
    Participant

An earlier post displayed a standard misspelling for genius loci – it’s the ‘intelligence’ of the place, hence ‘genius’, rather than the taxonomical ‘genus’.

This is where Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown got his name – speaking of the ‘capabilities’ of the place. ‘Sense of place’ is more or less the same thing, but such a hackneyed phrase that it is nearly meaningless.

Site, context and concept sort of sums it up. We assess and redirect the interplay of dynamic forces (human and otherwise) on and around a site, and apply a concept to serve as a convenient shorthand to allow for rapid comprehension.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Thanks for everyone’s help on this!

What word is used to describe us as Landscape Architects? Or, even better, someone who excels and is talented in Landscape Architecture?

For example, epicure = A person with refined taste, especially in food and wine. Is there a similar term for Landscape Architects/Designers?

Michael Askin
    Participant

i have home ground it is very interesting.

Adam McGovern
    Participant

“dominant central leader”…………apply that one as you see fit

“co-dominant central leaders”…………….an oligarchy perhaps?

“rootbound”………..could be a good name for a band

“vigor”…………from a specification that required trees to be Florida #1, vigorous, healthy and free of any pests or diseases………a tree was failed once because “the tree lacks vigor”

and last but not least….

“narrow crotch angle”………….of course I’m referring to a Bradford Pear Tree.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Thanks for everyone’s help on this! I think I am good to go…

Thanks!
    Andrew

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register