Firms to visit in Los Angeles and San Diego

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Firms to visit in Los Angeles and San Diego

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Roland Beinert
    Participant

I’m currently helping my sister move to Los Angeles, and I want to take the opportunity to visit a few firms there and in San Diego. I checked the various websites, and found very few firms in either city that are looking for someone with my level of experience (two years). Anyone know of any in either place? I’ll only be here till next Tuesday, and I’ll be pretty busy today and part of tomorrow unpacking my sister’s stuff, so I have only 1.5 weekdays in LA and one day in San Diego.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Office of James Burnett in San Diego had an emploment posting about a week and a half ago on the AIA website. Might want to get in contact with them via e-mail.

landplanner
    Participant

Roland:

I have been missing in action here for quite sometime, but wanted to give you some recommendations, since I practiced, both in public and private settings in San Diego in almost another previous existence.

The recommendations Ms. Rupel gave you are very sound and stand up firms, whether they are hiring is a completely different story. I still have mostly family and a few scatttered friends in San Diego, and I can tell that from an economic standpoint, things are SLOWLY regrouping themselves there. That region is certainly farther ahead in overall job creation (including construction and related segments-read OUR OWN) than say the inland empire (i.e. San Berdu’ and Riverside) which remains devastated.

I would offer up the premium firm of Spurlock-Poirer in San Diego. You would work your tail off but be immersed in projects that you otherwise would rarely have a shot at. WRT in San Diego is another possibility. Ask MauiBob about his time there.

Most of what you will find in SoCal are contract (limited term) job opportunities that may last a project or two and if you are an award winning star on those projects, you may last longer.

The only LA based firm that I can think of that you might want to look into is IMA. They are top flight, with a bit of an attitude, but they earned it.

I would be a bit careful of the “Office of anyone” let alone James Burnett, who is no slouch of an outfit by any standard. I just always find that title to be a little more than self-serving egotism, no matter how much talent resides behind the name. Mr. Radice is correct to point out that the Office of James Burnett does advertise, from time to time, for positions, mostly in Solano Beach, a great place to work and live if you can swing it. Just keep in mind, they advertise on an irregular basis, which is indicative of two things an increasing workload, or a stable workload and that they churn through a lot of people.

Good tidings in your search.

landplanner
    Participant

Postscript:

Bear in mind that SoCal is already flooded with unemployed or underemployed CalPoly SLO and Pomona grads, all very good programs that put out mostly capable and versatile talent. The job market is just beginning to return and you will find the headwinds of competition to be stiff.

landplanner
    Participant

Roland:

Just saw this ad. This firm has carved out a very respectable niche in the Central Coast of California by doing exceptional and very environmentally grounded work. They would offer you a great work experience but in one of the most expensive places to live in California. The wages will not match up.

http://www.asla.org/ISGWeb.aspx?loadURL=joblin

Trace One
    Participant

I think Spurlock Porier is one of the best in the area, I think. James Barnett is always advertising, don’t know why, but that does not seem great to me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register