Gehry as cynical about LEED as some Land8 posters

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums SUSTAINABILITY & DESIGN Gehry as cynical about LEED as some Land8 posters

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

Just so you guys don’t miss it, here’s the link to Inhabitat article on Gehry dissing LEED..He pretty much makes same points as the poster (I forget who it was..) here who felt LEED way political, could be met by putting in a bike rack..

I still disagree, I believe in LEED, I believe,brother..! This article makes me dislike Gehry, which I was half-way towards, anyway.

link in post below..

Trace One
    Participant
    Richard Longman
    Participant

Sounds like he doesn’t believe in global warming.

And the bike rack is a red herring. If architecture and landscape architecture doesn’t respond to human behavior or anticipated behavior then whom are we designing for.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Ah yes. The old “it’s too expensive” objection. I wonder how much extra money some of Gehry’s more outlandish designs have cost his clients. How much does it cost to make a building look like an ameoba? When exactly does that start to pay for itself?
    How expensive a green building or landscape is depends entirely on what methods you use to make it green. Is it really that expensive to add the right overhang to a south facing window or use swales to harvest rainwater?

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Gehry clarifies himself here:

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/next/archives/2010/04/frank_gehry_ask.html

He does make a good point about the whole ‘branding’ issue, and that some of the stuff (at least before 2009) is a bit trivial. How much longer is the USGBC going to accept education “signs” as an exemplary point? Now every development is going to have signs plastered all over it to get one point? I also think another one of his points is that there is more to it than just getting LEED certification with the minimal and targeting the easy points, and thats all the developers are after. More can be done, and has been done long before LEED came along. Its a start.

Richard Longman
    Participant

“and thats all the developers are after. More can be done, and has been done long before LEED came along. Its a start.”

When LEED first came out in the 90’s I was fundamentally opposed to it. However, it has created a demand even if ever so slightly where now developers want LEED certificaiton…even if it’s the low hanging fruit type.

No, in the past there wasn’t a demand for more sustainable designs. At least the PR machine is creating demand from the public and the developers. We just need to keep it going and getting everyone on the same page.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register