Gehry chosen for Eisenhower Memorial in DC

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Gehry chosen for Eisenhower Memorial in DC

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jason T. Radice
    Participant

DC is finally getting a Gehry building, or should I say, landscape. Years after the rejection of his design for an expansion to the Corcoran Gallery (which nearly bankrupted the museum), Gehry’s design has been selected by the General Services Administration’s (GSA) Design Excellence Program. Take a look:

http://www.eisenhowermemorial.org/

It will definitely change things in the intersection where it is planned. At the very least, it might help to improve the marginal ‘Federal Brutalist’ facade of the Dept. of Education building behind the planned memorial. I’m seeing it as another tour-bus loading area for the Air and Space museum across the street.

Another architect taking an LA’s job?

Tanya Olson
    Participant

You know what they say about architects….landscape architect wannabees who couldn’t hack the botany. hahaha.

Trace One
    Participant

Hard to see what exactly is going on. Looks ‘uninspired’ I want to say, a word I would be shocked to use to describe any Gehry..but so often architects are simply unable to translate their vision to the land..It is amazing..Hate the ‘curtains’ …big billboards. what is blue thing in the middle – a fountain with anything interesting happening? I am going to poke around the web for more detail on this design..

Chad Crutcher
    Participant

The tree in the middle reminds me of the famous Eisenhower Tree at Augusta National’s 17th fairway (I think its the 17th). Watch the Masters weekend after next and you’ll see what I mean. I can completely accept that this may have been intentional. I must agree with Trace that the model was uninspiring. Looked like my toy blocks all over the floor after I destroyed my latest construction. As for being contextual, seems more to have obliterated it than respond to it…or, perhaps Gehry agrees w/ Jason on the Education facade. My subjective thought is that I would have preferred a response to that facade, not a denial of it. And how would you feel if the view out the window from your desk in that building was wiped out by those screens. I could not determine how transparent or opaque they are. Easy to let opinions fly if not the designer, but, that’s the risk we take. Anyway, I’m not moved.

Trace One
    Participant

I agree Chad, it definitely to me stands out conceptually that the memorial should use and respond to the building fascade rather than pretend it doesn’t exist..
    When the jury calls me for my opinion, I will be sure to credit you with that thought..I am waiting by the phone today.
    🙂

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

The screens are supposed to be mostly transparent from up close, and the building to the rear is 100′ away. They are a patterned mesh. But if they are so transparent at 100′, how are you supposed to see what they are when you are IN the memorial?

Geoffrey Campbell
    Participant

This link:
    http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=13729
    states that EDAW was part of the design team as well.

Ryan A. Waggoner
    Participant
    Trace One
    Participant

thanks, Ryan..What is up with the central tree – is it existing, I wonder? Are they going to plant a 5″dbh oak and pretend it looks like that? Still don’t like the ‘curtains’ ..thanks for the links.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

There is nothing there of concequence. Its pretty much one of those great weird intersections DC is known for. It is pretty much just open space with a few street trees. Here’s an image of the memorial area with the Dept. of Ed. Behind.

Rob Halpern
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register