Ghost Trees of Trafalgar Square

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

has everyone seen this new exhibit – very cool! it is on the BBC News web site..
    How in the world do you post to a site that is not your own…can I have a computer that helps me with computers.?
    🙂

Samuel
    Participant

I’m not sure, but can you do it by writing the URL down?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8361486.stm

Lori Molitor
    Participant
    Trace One
    Participant

thanks, Lori and Samuel – I don’t think I like it as much after seeing Lori’s link! It is very literal, with the white bases the stumps are set on..

April Philips
    Participant

I think the concept for this installation is brilliant and I understand why she exposes the roots rather than standing the trees upright as originally intended. The impact of the message seems better in the photo with the juxtapositon of people and the tree roots rather than the overall shot which looses a lot in translation. Definitely an installation that needs to be experienced for the full impact. Glad to see it will go to Copenhagen next.

Les Ballard
    Participant

One stump is equivalent of a 20 foot container imported from africa and then they are going elsewhere so i hope the point is made well bearing in mind the carbon taken to get these stumps here. In fact the total cost could have gone a long way toward replanting the origin rainforest.. As wood being imported for timber has to be baked to kill any bugs, I wonder if these were and if not how the phytosanitary or vets certificates were dispensed with. I recall when the Japs imorted a container of english oak acorns to plant and some bright spark fumigated and thus killed them on import.

Whatever, you got to allow a little odd art and as a temporary purposeful display yes they are impressive to me and I hope to others too.

Luv n Lite

Les Ballard

Landon Davidson
    Participant

I’m with Les on this one. It feels like buying a Hybrid to save some emissions. You are paying way more money, consuming even more materials, and getting rid of a perfectly good car.

It does look really cool though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register