GMO Eucalyptus groves being planted in US

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLANTS & HORTICULTURE GMO Eucalyptus groves being planted in US

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

http://gmo-journal.com/index.php/2010/05/15/usda-approves-genetically-modified-trees-for-trial-planting/

The first GMO trees are being tested here..And they choose Eucalyptus..

thoughts and opinions on this? Were Landscape Arch’s involved in the decision? This has apparently been going on for several years, and this is the FIRST I have heard of it.Public comment period long over.. .Anybody else been following this, all along?

Rob Halpern
    Participant

So now what has been done to Southern California will be done to Texas and Florida?
    Apparently as Florida works to eradicate Melaleuca, there’s space for a new invasive.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

And this appears to me to be a conservationist, biologist, ecologist, and agronomist issue first. What role do you see for L.A.s in the decision?

Trace One
    Participant

We are the synthesists, Rob – it is our job to put it all together..!! We have a unstated policy in my office of taking out euc’s..for many reasons..And we certainly DON’T plant them and would not want more euc’s in the world..How can you NOT ask an LA to be part of this decision making process.., I ask back at you..We are a huge user group, and the advisors with regards to the land! How can we NOT be included – unless you just want to think about ‘greenies between the buildings.”.
    ?

Bob Luther
    Participant

And your substitute tree? Lets come up with a solution rather than just complaint that we are being ignored. Why the trees need to be genetically modified is a good question, can’t a cold hardy species be developed through cross breeding alone? I understand the water issue, they do require a decent amount of water, but they are a fast grower and can become a sustainable “crop” much quicker than native pines and hardwoods. These are plantation plantings and thus they are to be “farmed” so they need to find the ideal crop for the purposes set forth in the article.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

They may “need” the ideal crop but we need to protect our shared resources and wildlife.

Bob, I would not assume that the constructive response is to suggest another species that can be harvested more speedily. As human population grows and as American ideas of consumption spread, we cannot simply expect the planet to churn out endless resources for us and at a quicker rate.

If potentially invasive agroforestry is being proposed, perhaps first that needs to be stopped while we consider what is the best path forward. I would not simply follow the forester’s premise that they have to have a faster growing more harvestable plant. And I don’t think there is a desperate need for it: people are not dying, nor is the quality of life degrading for lack of cheap plywood.

@Trace One: as you might know, I am not an L.A. so my question was sincere, not a veiled criticism. I had no idea that landscape architects advise on agroforestry research. Who knew?

Trace One
    Participant

Rob, I am not saying LA’s advise on ‘agroforestry research’ and I think it is a misnomer to call this introduction of a genetically modified invasive species by that name. It is not agroforestry research – it is business. And an EIS requires all kinds of experts..I am pointing out to my fellow LA’s that this is the type of thing we SHOULD be vocal on – we are experts, and our voice has a place..

Bob Luther
    Participant

these trees are not to be harvested for cheap plywood, in fact eucalyptus has little timber value, the first eucalyptus was brought to the US for railroad ties, but the wood was found to be too brittle to use for ties. These trees are to be grown for wood fiber fuel to power powerplants as our society moves away from coal and petroleum. Cellular biomass (wood and grass pulp) has a huge potential for fuel without the issues of food crop (i.e. corn/soybean) market values.

Trace One
    Participant

Why LA’s don’t like eucs:
    1. Almost no support for wildlife. California oak supports at least 100 times more insects, a primary food source. No wildlife shelter, compared to oaks, also.
    2. Extremely flammable – ‘gasoline trees’
    3. Allelopathy plus ex-foliation further limits understory and diversity.
    4. Water gulpers.
    5. Hummingbird killers, from sap.

The spread of the species from ‘farms’ is inevitable, as has happened with GM corn..

Bob Luther
    Participant

The users of these trees are not trying to provide wildlife shelter or species diversity, they want a fast growing fiber crop. California Oaks grow Sloooooooowwwwwwwlllllyyyyy….. the lack of understory plants is a good thing for the “crop system” nothing to mow mulch, or spray, as for flammable yep they will burn, and yes they do use water, but in the southeast they have more native rainwater (I know it would be better used for other species and uses, and yes I did see that they are planting them in Texas, and yes I agree that they may not be as suited to that climate). And for the hummingbirds, never knew that one so thanks for the info. As for the spread what have they gen modified is it just the cross between the two Euc species or did they splice in polar bear DNA for cold tolerance? A cross pollinated tree is one thing, I agree a polar bear euc is something to worry about.

Trace One
    Participant

That’s the problem with GM, Bob, it is ‘polar bear’ splicing, as you say, and then the modified genes escape (and with corn, Monsanto makes a pretty penny suing farmers whose GM corn has escaped..). I think this is horrible. Also GM corn has impacted butterflies – it may be good for the farmer not to have a single weed, but Monarchs were living on those last patches of jimson weed between rows..Now the weeds are gone, entirely..Monoculture is exatly the wrong way to harvest, in my opinion..
    Weeds are little remnants of nature..The EPA has just required California to remove all vegetation from our canal-sides, but the trouble is, that is about all the nature that is left, in a significant portion of the central valley..Take that out, and there is nothing..

Rob Halpern
    Participant

To that point: GM corn has been found in the mountains of northern Mexico where the wild species come from. No one is sure how it got there, but it threatens the gene pool for corn.

Scientists make promises and corporations make promises and yet stuff happens and it is impossible to un-do

Trace One
    Participant

Thank you Rob..I did not know you were not an LA, and apologize for excessive defensiveness with regards to the LA profession..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register