Great story about the release of High Performance Landscape Guidelines: 21st Century Parks for NYC

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Great story about the release of High Performance Landscape Guidelines: 21st Century Parks for NYC

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Amy Verel
    Participant

Great article in The Architect’s Newsletter about the extremely successful event last night at the Center for Architecture in NYC for the release of High Performance Landscape Guidelines: 21st Century Parks for NYC.  Couldn’t make it myself due to a work deadline, unfortunately, but I’d love to hear thoughts from anyone who did manage to attend, thoughts on the article, the new guidelines, etc.  And repost the A/N blog far and wide – how great is this coverage?!

A/N Article Landscape Guidelines Landslide Debut

NYCDPR Guidelines Site

“The line stretched down the block outside of the Center for Architecture last night for the release of High Performance Landscape Guideline: 21st Century Parks for NYC. The document providing sustainable park guidelines was produced through a partnership between The Design Trust for Public Space and the Department of Parks and Recreation. The manual is the first of its kind in the nation.”

Read more at Landscape Guidelines Landslide Debut

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

High performance landscape? Man, I love the terminology lately! What is the 0-60 time? How well exectly does a landscape corner? I bet like anything high performance (such my car) the maintenance is really complicated, parts are obscenely expensive and the tires only last 15k miles. Plus, not likely the best thing to to own in the winter. At least they did not dub it “extreme performance,” that term is reserved for anti-perspirant.

Interesting topic, however, I’ll be sure do download the guidelines. Thanks for the post!

Leni Schwendinger
    Participant

I was there!  here are some photos of the luminaries that spoke: Charles McKinney (NYC Parks Dept), Nette Compton (NYC Parks Dept) and Nancy Owens (Landscape Architect).

Amy Verel
    Participant

Haha good point Jason – personally I could use some 4-wheel drive landscape these days, but that might incur the standard jokes about plowing snow in the winter…

Can’t wait to dig into the guidelines myself, especially since I was originally under the impression that they were $35, but that was just for the hard copy – the free pdf download was a nice surprise!

Amy Verel
    Participant

Thanks Leni – great pictures! Love to see more if you have them on Flickr or something. Really wish I could have made it – hate it when job gets in the way of career! 😀

Leni Schwendinger
    Participant

I am hoping to write a quick blog – don’t usually use flickr.  will post here if I do. LS

Leni Schwendinger
    Participant
    Gil Lopez
    Participant

One of the authors actually called this out, stating something along the lines of, “last time this many folks came out to anything with the words “high” and “performance” together was back in the ’60s and it was definitely a different type of performance.”

Another pointed out the absolute unwieldiness of the name “High Performance Landscape Guidelines

21st Century Parks for NYC a Project of the Design Trust for Public Space and The New York City  Department of Parks and Recreation”

Gil Lopez
    Participant

The line was long and wonky, people passing may have thought it was a trendy club. I was standing on the upper level but enjoyed the presentations just the same. It was noted that it was the largest attendance in The Center’s history. I enjoyed all of the presenters and the whole presentation was pretty much what I expected it to be. I would have like some more in depth talk but that’s my wonky side coming out. When more than two or three folks are presenting in a couple hours time span things seem rushed and kinda glazed over.

I did run into a table full of authors and contributors around the corner at Half Pint afterward and got a few of them to sign my copy of the Manual, including Charles McKinney and Andrew Lavellee.

ykonwanderer
    Participant

There was a review of this book in Landscape Architecture magazine a little while back right? I didn’t attend the event, but the book sounded pretty good in the review at least. I seem to remember reading that the magazine found the guidelines very comprehensive, they focus on maintainable and sustainable parks, but I think I also read that some information was geared towards park managers more than designers. I might be wrong on that.

Leni Schwendinger
    Participant

No, the publication date is December, just released. Leni

ykonwanderer
    Participant

Yeah but it was a review ahead of the publication date.  I will try to find the issue.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register