Hand graphics…to pay or not to pay???

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GRAPHICS Hand graphics…to pay or not to pay???

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Zeke Cooper
    Participant

Once again, horrible post by Maui Bob.  Like I said, its obvious you’ve never been.  Mike DOES NOT teach one single graphic style.  When I attended, we had people that learned to draw photorealistic drawings, as well as others who learned ‘cartooning’ type drawings.  Both were beautiful.  Mike LIN teaches you how to use different techniques that apply to ANY graphic style, including computer aided design.  

Before you bash Mike, please take his course.

Zeke Cooper
    Participant

HAHAHHAHA, if it just ‘sounds’ to you Maui Bob, its evident you’ve never attended.  I’ve been to his San Fran and Manhattan, KS workshops and TA’ed for him in San Fran as well.  The workshop is a wonderful experience and you’ll learn more in two weeks than you can imagine.  Also, Brian, Mike’s son now helps teach the workshop and brings unbelievable real-world experience and talent to the table.  Definitely worth every dime!

Tonie C.
    Participant

Matt – I agree with everything you said. 

The speed gained from the Lin “tricks” is what helped me the most, which made me practice more, which made me better.  I agree with some of the others that you can also do this on your own, but will you?  For me I needed the environment to push me.   

Jared Chase
    Participant

I haven’t read through everything else but I’m sort of in the same situation as you.  I haven’t taken Mike Lin’s workshop but I attended a workshop put on by graphicsteacher.com last month and will be attending another one this weekend.

What it comes down to is, what is it worth to you?  I know the classes are expensive but for me, they are totally worth it.  Here is the perspective that I look at it from.  You have to look at it as an investment.  Will this give you the extra skills that you need to be more marketable for a job?  Maybe or Maybe not but I talked with the owner of a firm a few months ago who told me that he recently interviewed about 15 different new graduates and he chose the one who was able to draw because this is a skill that is being lost.  I talked to another firm owner who specializes in hand graphics and he stated that his business has increased in the digital age because many places still appreciate the character of hand graphics.  So to me the cost may seem a lot at first but if it helps you down the road, it’s not as big of a deal.

Another thing you have to think about is will this speed up your efficiency?  If it takes you 10 hours to finish a rendering, what if it only took you 5 hours… Another reason it’s helpful is because you know learn how you use a limited range of materials.  You’ll learn what colors of markers to buy and also learn that you don’t need 100’s of markers to make an effective rendering.

It also depends on your confidence in your hand drawings.  I don’t want to talk crap but my graphics professor was not very effective at teaching.  He may have been able to do the drawings himself but he was unable to teach all the different techniques.  A good teacher will be able to not only recognize what your doing wrong but will also be able to give you advice on how to fix the problem.  I learned more in a two-day workshop than I learned in an entire semester of graphics.  You learn the tips and techniques that increase your efficiently but more importantly increase your confidence.  You’ll know what your doing instead of having to guess all of the time.  I say do what’s best for you but I personally would highly recommend them.

mauiBob
    Participant

Aloha Zeke, I never “bashed” Mike and thank you for showing your true motive! You’re a TA in his workshop, meaning you directly benefit. Well, of course you give it high marks! Why only respond to my comments? There are several others here who share my views. Please read their post.

Welcome to the real world, Zeke. No matter how grand your idea is there will always be someone who is skeptical of your intentions. You have to learn to take constructive criticism and move on. I never personally attacked Mike’s workshop, but merely suggested to Deryn that he/she could learn those drawing techniques on one’s own time. It’s not rocket science! It just takes practice.

Take his course? Puhlease! He needs to learn from me. Don’t make me laugh (sarcasm here). I hope you and Mike buy my upcoming graphic book from Rockport Publishers due out late this year. Have a great day, surfer Zekie.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

I never attended the workshop. However, I would recommend the 2 day course, the 12 day workshop seems a bit too much…in terms of time and cost. That’s my opinion and I don’t want anyone bashing me for it. Haha! On personal level, I prefer digital work, so hand graphics is not my style. Hence, why I also work part-time as a graphic designer for an advertising agency. From what I’ve read and heard, the in-depth digital related sessions are sub-par at best.

Deryn Davidson
    Participant

Wow everyone, thanks so much for your input!!! This was my first post so I wasn’t sure what to expect…

There are definitely varied opinions on the matter and I think I’ll just have to think on it some more. Even if hand graphics are old school, I’d still love to have that skill so no matter what, I’m going to give it more time and energy whether it’s Mike Lin, the webinar on Land 8, or otherwise.

Thanks again!!!

Deryn

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

I would love to take one of Mike Linn’s workshops!

At Colorado State I had the pleasure of spending two days with Christopher Grubbs and it changed the way I perceive and draw the world. I’m by no means great but it made me leaps better. We also had two very talented professors at school. One had a more architectural style, the other was more expressive. Any time spent sitting with those two would result in a jump in ability as well.

You can get better copying books but nothing beats sitting with an expert illustrator. Just seeing “how” they work is invaluable but when they guide you in the right direction, it’s transformative. You are not attempting to copy their style, rather they help you to develop and evolve your own…

Kevin Ho
    Participant

Deryn-

I am intrigued by the responses to your question. You certainly got an awesome question left to much debate.  My advice because you are just beginning your career and your graphics are already intermediate is go for it!  You will meet so many people who will influence your career, the workshop will help you get a job, that’s probably the most important thing about it. 
    Now, I took a 2 day Lin course many years ago in school. I bought the book and the perspective grid and the rolling ruler.  I did well in school in some part because of my good graphics and got into a good job. 3 positions later I’m still drawing, but my style looks nothing like what I did in school because graphics like your designing will change as you evolve in the profession. 
    Don’t worry about the money or being standardized, the early stage of your career means you have the time to make it a worthwhile investment.  I always thought of the Lin workshop as a stepping stone, not an sermon. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

I took Mike’s 2 day course ages ago. I think it was well worth it. My style is totally different now as well, but it was a good foundation. The most important thing I learned was not to labor over drawings. Stay loose and have fun.

Being able to make quick sketches that tell the story is a valuable skill. I sketch out my ideas in little details while I design in AutoCAD and SketchUp. I find my clients really enjoy that I can explain a plan view detail with a quick sketch.

Mike has taught a lot of people his style over the years, I would guess close to half of the practicing LAs. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Deryn Davidson
    Participant

That’s the thing, I want to be able to quickly communicate an idea. Right now when I have a thought or design idea, I write it down…not very effective. It helps me remember, but does nothing for illustrating an idea. Thanks for you thoughts (everyone!).

Mike Lin
    Participant

Hi Andrew, I was browsing around your web site and saw your comment on my workshop with great comment.  Thanks.  I always enjoy your site and keep up.

Mike Lin
    Participant

Hi Deryn, I am browsing around the Land8 web site and found your discussion only after you have taken my workshop in Las Vegas this past May.  I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed not only you but the other two students from your school.  The improvement from three of you were stunning and amazing. I also appreciate your invitation to your school in March 2012 for a 2 day workshop for your fellow students.  I will make sure my son Brian Lin will conduct a good one for you.

Jamie Walsh
    Participant

First, do not ever go to Mike Lin’s workshops. Terrible. You would be better served pencil sketching daily. Look at shadows and light and line weight – that is all there is. Mike Lin is a gimmick. Do not spend your money. If you have trouble designing-practice over and over. It is a muscle. You will succeed, you will fail. The ratio will fall in your favor over time. I think hand graphics are the most important talent to have and you are wise to want to develop your skills. People respond to a hand drawn sketch. Computer graphics are useful as well, but do not speak to the soul. Keep practicing and do not stop. Best of luck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think your post is as unfair as it is rude. I attended a three day workshop 20 plus years ago; it worked wonders for me, as well as my studio mates that attended. Although my style presently looks nothing like what Mike teaches, but taking his course laid a graphic foundation that I was able to build upon. If that’s a gimmick then sign me up.

If you have taken one of his workshops, I guess it didn’t work for you. If you haven’t taken one, shame on you for publically bad mouthing a man trying to earn an honest living.  

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register