Have you seen the LA tee shirt w/ the stupid slogan?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Have you seen the LA tee shirt w/ the stupid slogan?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

LA Network is promoting a tee shirt that says “I’m a landscape architect and I won’t design your garden.”

What kind of stupid message is this supposed to be? I don’t get this at all….I’m I the only one that finds this arrogant and counter productive?  Must be a bunch of students I guess that have no clue and no registration going around advertising that they are landscape architects….but too good to do garden design…unbelieveable!

I must be getting too old but I love garden design and make a very nice living doing it….so, those out of work elite designers, too good to design gardens, send them to me, I’d be honored to design your garden!

Chris Whitted
    Participant

Sounds very similar to a shirt I was given that was created by the student ASLA chapter of a particular school for the 2011-12 year.  The front reads “Yes, I am a Landscape Architect.” while the back says “No, I will not do your back yard.”  I’m not sure which thought came first – wondering if they had any concept of the current job climate in our profession or when will I ever wear this because it sure won’t be in public.

nca
    Participant

Wow, dumb.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

They wear those shirts and still are likely to take issue with the current thread where someone suggests that landscape architecture is devoid of garden designers. Then they hang it in the closet next to the “celebrate diversity” tee shirt.

alland
    Participant

Well put. I a client who appreciates garden design also knows that Landscape Architects are professionally equipped to do it.

ida
    Participant

Sounds like we have an identity crisis.

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

I’ve heard it jokingly said: “I’m a landscape architect. I don’t mow lawns….but I will for the right fee.”

“I won’t design your garden or your back yard” is pretty extreme.

Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

I think it just comes from the feelings you get when even after years of hoping this would change, you state your profession and someone responds “Oh, I need you to come over and tell me what I can do around my mail box!” It’s not that doing a real artistic total solution garden is not noble etc. but that there is a tendency to want quickie free answers to “sick plant” questions etc. -although I’m surprised that students would already have so much of it that they would design a T-shirt.

We just have to remember that it happens partly because there is a version for every other field people only partly understand. I’m willing to bet it happens at parties with vets hearing about sick dogs and architects about great ideas seen in magazines. I can only imagine what lawyers get to hear. And it’s partly because of the blurring of functions encouraged by the green industry with assurances in their advertising that they are designers, too. In some situations they can suffice, in others not so much. And then there are the universally occurring agricultural extension service trained “master gardeners,” who can do some community service good deeds but whose title could foster some misunderstanding of roles.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

I had a shirt from the University of Wisconsin that said, “No, I will not mow your lawn.” Then three years later, I was laid off from my landscape architecture job and ended up mowing lawns for a while.

mark foster
    Participant

Time to get out my “I WILL!” shirt.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

“I’m a landscape architect and I won’t design your garden.”

The fine print under that is “would you like fries with that, sir?”

Anonymous
    Inactive

The silliness continues. These are probably the same individuals that have a problem with the name of our profession. As an LA that has worked mostly on “larger” projects, I love the opportunity to design small gardens. I find designing a small private garden just as challenging as designing a high school site design. Real designers just want to design whether it’s a strip mall sign planting or a 50 acre high end office park. Yes, Alan this kind of BS is arrogant and counterproductive to our profession. Some folks need to stop being so insecure and worrying about prestige. In other words just be professionals.  

earthworker
    Participant

Those will be the t-shirts that are worn under the aprons of America’s future Starbuck’s baristas with attitudes like that.

Sounds like a bunch of students to me. Very counter productive for our precession indeed.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

The larger question should be for us to ask ourselves what or who is incubating this attitude? Do our educators or professional organizations foster this either inadvertantly or purposefully? Why is this?

Then we have garden designers wondering if landscape architects should begin to consider garden design in another thread.

I’ve said it a million times. Don’t get caught up in having the profession defined and then let yourself be defined by the profession. The notion is that this opens opportunities, but clearly it only is limiting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register