HELP!!! Planning for a Career in Landscape Architecture and torn between Degree Programs

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION HELP!!! Planning for a Career in Landscape Architecture and torn between Degree Programs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gregg Harrack
    Participant

Hi Guys, 

I’m a second year student living in the Caribbean, currently studying business. I was introduced to Landscape Architecture earlier this year, and I completely fell in love with the it, so I’ve begun restructuring myself to move towards doing my Masters in Landscape Architecture. However, I’m torn right now because I my university does not have a landscape architecture program, but it does have a Marine, Wildlife and Conservation Degree track. I’ve spoken with the Dean of that dept and she assures me that I can still graduate in 2 years, or it may add on one extra semester because I’m considering switching. 

So here’s why I’m torn….I’m tugged between whether I should switch to the Conservation Degree, it has a lot of science courses that I have to learn, and I don’t have much of a science background, so that has me a little unsettled. Although I see huge advantage in switching especially since I would like to specialize in Conversation during my Masters. However despite feeling like Conservation might be the best way to go, I’m torn between my Business Degree, because I want to believe that LA has a major business component especially when it comes to dealing with clients, working within a budget and negotiating contracts and stuff like that. 

Has anyone been in such a situation or has known anyone in such a situation?……I would really appreciate any thoughts, advice, suggestions that can help me make this decision either decision more comfortably.  

Thanks for reading and hopefully replying 🙂

CJ Cho
    Participant

It’s nice that you found out about landscape architecture and am considering getting a masters in it later. I found out about it later in my undergrad and am doing the masters now.

I know landscape architects who get their MBAs later and have specialized more on the business side of things and others who work mainly with the design or other aspect and hate doing the business side of things. That isn’t to say a landscape architect needs only business or only the conservation side. Design can’t survive only by itself, but one of the strong things about the field is strong ability in the sciences. 

I guess what I’m saying is, it depends on what you’d like to study and spend these two or so years left of your education. I have classmates who have studied economics, or a hard science, and they seem both well suited. 

If it’s possible, maybe you can contact some program heads at landscape architecture schools to see what they think. Or talk to local landscape architects. 

Let me know if that helps or it it just muddled things up more.

Gregg Harrack
    Participant

I just want to say thanks so much for taking the time to respond. After wrestling with the options for a couple days I finally decided to stick it out with my business program. Although very interested in the conversation program I felt some what uneasy leaving my current program, especially being so invested already, so what i decided to do was take the conservation courses to make up my electives. 

I’m just take the time I have now to lay some foundation and practice some AutoCAD and free hand sketching and definitely keeping up to speed with what’s happening in the industry. 

So how have you found the master’s program to be so far? is it everything or nothing at all that you expected?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register