Help! Plants in Southeast Coastal Asia?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Help! Plants in Southeast Coastal Asia?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dean Hill, ASLA
    Participant

The holidays would be much happier if I could find good sources for containerized plant material in Hong Kong and Southeast Asia. An extra special stocking stuffer would be a grower that has an online catalogue and a native plant grower would re-establish my belief that there is a Santa Claus! The Internet search has been daunting and I thought that it would be better to flex some social network muscle.

Thanks!

Les Ballard
    Participant

o i am sorry u havent had a reply but, please, do not despair. Come down off that ledge at once. When I saw this post i deliberated whether to reply or not but only cos i know a single clue for you – urban garden magazine which has a .com site. I thawt others would respond in droves,

Apart from looking for growers and nurseries in online directories, there are urban garden schemes in hong kong, singapore etc. with websites to google and am sure their proactive social engineering and local champion oriented organisers are most unlikely to fail to respond to an email as to where they got their plants. Embassies and consulates will normally try to answer any question you set them, especially one put into writing I found or coming through the diplomatic back door to include your own embassy in the place of interest. University sites need reviewing to determine who leads whay departments and an email to them may get you plants grown especially for your needs in return for a donation, It’s worth a try anyway. Finally, any contractor you contact should also be able to start growng what you need for when you need it as chosen from lists available from local societies, etc. arising from wildlife surveys they have carried out. These are usually contactable by contacting major central libraries keeping lists of local mateur organisations,

Happy New Gregorian Year and Luv n Lite

Les Ballard

Kelly Woodward
    Participant

Hi Dean!

Here in South Florida I use the Plantfinder, I’m not sure this publication exists in the MidWest. So, if you haven’t already check out their website, http://www.plantfinder.com/. They have a link to a PlantFinder they are starting in China, so hopefully you can find some leads there!

Best of luck!

Ed Siribohdi
    Participant

This is a big problem in SE Asia. I practiced in Thailand for a while. There are plenty of nursery stocks but not categoried. In Singapore, there is

a nursery called ” Pasir Panjang”. In Bangkok, Chatujak weekend market is the place. http://www.bangkokcompanies.com/categories/thai_companies_p158.htm It is hard to sit here in your office and try to spec. the plants. A trip there would be helpful.

Dean Hill, ASLA
    Participant

Thank you Kelly…I will check it out!

Dean Hill, ASLA
    Participant

Agreed, Ed! A trip would be very helpful and welcomed! Thanks for the assist!

Kelly Woodward
    Participant

Have you been able to contact any nurseries yet? If not, we had a project in Guangzhou, China and were in contact with some nurseries when we were looking for trees. Surely they should have plants as well. Let me know if you would like me to dig up these nurseries…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register