How close is too close? Planting ornamental trees near a foundation.

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION How close is too close? Planting ornamental trees near a foundation.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Wes Arola, RLA
    Participant

You should be alright with those tree choices. If there is still concern you could use a root barrier…

Tanya Olson
    Participant

I agree with Mark – consider a multi-stemmed Amelanchier. Or how about Amur Maple? This can’t be in CO or you wouldn’t be considering an Eastern Redbud or Japanese Maple….

I’ve seen hundreds of Japanese Maples in small spots like this in northern CA that have thrived for many years, but they have many many cultivars available ranging from 5X15′ to 25×25’…depends on what you have available, but the space is definitely not too small for some of those smaller varieties.

Jay Ryan Courtney
    Participant

I agree. That was another choice on my radar.  I think I may go with this.  Either the regional native (saskastoon) or the more shade tolerant Amelanchier canadensis.  I definitely want to steer away from the lolly pop type trees or anything with a strait trunk so I am glad to get feed back that some of you think these ornamental choices with more character will be ok.

Thanks!

nca
    Participant

eastern redbuds do ok here but will fry in exposed sites. I’d steer clear of a japanese maple unless you want to create a home depot special landscape. Not a good scale for that space either imo. I like the amelanchier idea as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register