How do you find “Green” technology products?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION How do you find “Green” technology products?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daryn Fair
    Participant

Searching for green technology products that offer measurable cost benefits.

Eric Gilbey
    Participant

Daryn, I think most suppliers who manufacture or distribute “green” products are very forthright about this with the demand now being made in many communities to gain LEED ratings, and other communities who had already been requiring more sustainable, or environmentally conscious solutions. I would suggest reviewing the documents that USGBC and SSI have produced that help us realize the scope of what they consider sustainable design to be, then begin to make list of the items you usually would specify to accomplish those goals, even the ones that might not appear to be actively doing something “sustainable” on the site, but may have been manufactured in an environmentally sensitive way. Then begin searching for suppliers, either in our publications, where they certainly want to, or should, be advertising. Also doing internet searches, cold calling some of the suppliers, or find contractors who have been committed to sustainable building practices and find out who they recommend. The contractors might even be willing to share the news that they heard a supplier is considering the manufacturing of something new that will meet/exceed sustainable design criteria. One easy path that just came to mind too is to consider the sponsors of USGBC, or Green Roofs for Healthy Cities, etc and their conferences and expos. I would expect you will see new technology being showcased in those venues, as well. Good luck in your pursuit!

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Are you looking for anything in particular or are you trying to find a general set of products to use in a variety of projects?

Daryn Fair
    Participant

I am searching for products generally accepted and proven/tested on a variety of projects are readily available or preferred by our industry. There are many products surfacing and some claim to be green;however, the process in which they are produced consumes more energy then the benefit they offer. It all started when I found out about The BigBelly® Solar Compactor – a patented compacting trash receptacle that is completely self-powered. There is great technology being produced and having better knowledge will benefit the designer and end user.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register