I Always Knew This Day Would Come…

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION I Always Knew This Day Would Come…

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I’m getting that program and going into business designing custom place mats for themed restaurants!

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

hahahahahaha!!! Thank you Henry. Just playing around a bit… the program is pretty fun. It  encourages child-like exploration of shapes and color. Just drag stuff around until it looks right. 

Funny you should mention a career in landscape architecture… The first major I declared in 1996 was landscape architecture. I took the intro-class and did well but got intimidated by the professors lecture at the end of the semester about what was to come and decided I’d rather snowboard and screw-off instead, which I did quite well. I ended up graduating with a liberal arts degree, minor in sociology, with a good chunk of journalism in the middle some where… it’s a little foggy, er, smoky, er, cloudy, like an unfiltered beer.

After working construction for a year after graduation I got a job selling data-mining software in Chicago. A year and a half later I was miserable and didn’t want to spend the rest of my life in a 5×7 cube with the frat-boys that seemed perfectly happy to. I took a “what should I do with myself” test and at the top of the list was landscape architecture. After kicking myself repeatedly, I decided to go back to school to finish what I started. I went back to Colorado and established residency while waiting tables and working in a bike shop. I got into the LA program at Colorado State on a prayer and a dream and worked my butt off, completing the 5 year program in 3 years. After graduation, I was fortunate to get hired by a hot-shot firm in SoCal where I went and killed myself for 4 months, eating, sleeping(if I was lucky) and *#@% landscape architecture. I basically fit a year of experience into 4 months. Then in Nov. ’08 the world came to a screeching halt and so did I. With nothing to obsess on, I went from 120mph to 0 in .5 seconds. It was grim. All hopes dashed, the dream over, down the rabbit hole I went…

Things are a bit better these days… I’ve managed to squeak 8 months of employment out of the last two and a half years. A few months at a nursery and 5 months at a very colorful solo-practice. I’m broke but not broken. My design interests have drifted away from landscape architecture but are slowly returning. I don’t know that I’ll ever be as passionate or dedicated to a profession that could so easily cast me, and so many others, aside or maybe I just need to make sure I don’t get bucked off again… either way, I’m ready to get back on the horse. It will be a different ride this time. I’ve learned a lot in the last few years…

So, to make a long story short, yeah, I’ve considered a career in landscape architecture and reconsidered it… and considered it… and reconsidered it… I might even consider it again…

Why? Know somebody that’s hiring?    

Anonymous
    Inactive

“I just need to make sure I don’t get bucked off again…”

That’s what it’s all about right now Thomas. I continue to hold on by a stirrup with one hand while I get dragged over rocks and briar patches, because I know in the end I will be rewarded for sticking it out. This recession has only made me a smarter LA and a shrewd businessman. I have grown personally and professionally in ways I never could have without going through these serious hard times. It would be a crime to go through all of this shish and not collect the prize.  

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

: )

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Disclaimer: I thought we were all being sarcastic. I don’t believe that architects and engineers can do what we do.

Doug Prouty
    Participant

Now there’s a way to turn a negative into a positive! In order to survive you have to be creative and I thing the Dora mats are a seller to kids from 3 to 5 years old. My daughter would love one but you have to include Boots or it’s a deal breaker! If they are already in production, market it as Ivan the Operative with a small characature of Putin and the Rubles will be pouring in!

Zach Watson
    Participant

I saw the title of this post and my first thought was, AAHH not another topic like this….  

Once I saw the example, I realized that I have spent the last 2 1/2 years spending money and time to become an LA and now…it’s all worthless.  🙁  Sad Day.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

I’m sorry, I tend to have that effect on people… I can’t help it. It’s always made me unpopular… Just yesterday, I think I made a bunch of professional potters feel bad when the first pot I’ve ever thrown turned out pretty darn good… I overheard one of them say, “I spent 10 years learning how to do that…”. Then I had to blow the next three pots and clean up after class as penance.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register