International NightSeeing, Planning Continues: Megacities

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLACES & SPACES International NightSeeing, Planning Continues: Megacities

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Leni Schwendinger
    Participant

Lighting is an essential element of our 24/7 world

Thus, the urban night is a critical zone for study, design and application

In 2003, I proposed the future malleable, responsive, illuminated city as part of my curriculum at New School/Parsons School of Design’s Designing Urban Nighttime Environments based on “shades of night“.  At that time urbanists and the real estate industry popularized the phrase “24/7″ (hours/days per week) to invoke vitality.  It was my sense that as nighttime activities and flexible working hours increasingly redefined urban experience, greater emphasis should be focused on illuminating the after-dark environment.

See full post in Leni Schwendinger Light Projects LTD, Fusing Art + Design with Light

Les Ballard
    Participant

current emphasis seems to be cars temporarily turning on street lamps as they pass or doing without – even re traffic lights – after a certain time to save money and also to reduce light pollution generally (astronomers press for this).  Where parties have illuminations for pleasure authorities consider more green options and energy saving lamps.  Failing to heat the streets as much may have a microenvironment backlash.  During the air strike some years back now there are some nice smog free pictures of LA and facts have been extrapolated re the heat from lights, same as low level ozone levels re fumes from cars in summer and the need for trees to ameliorate chest problems.  As usual, we are midpoint on progress but green issues are certainly worthy of consideration in all plans to give best possible answers on all designs and Times Square style flashiness is thought less appropriate even re parade days, etc.  

This link and those associated with it may be of some interest,   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PegG-7u_zhw

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register