International Studies in Landscape Architecture and Urban Design

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION International Studies in Landscape Architecture and Urban Design

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kelly Woodward
    Participant

Hello all!

I’m looking for feedback regarding International studies in landscape architecture, urban ecology and urban design. Any Americans that have gone abroad? If so, where? Or do any landscape architects from abroad have recommendations?

Merci. Tack. Obrigada. Gracias. Danke.

try landscape architecture at UTAD in Portugal:

http://www.arquitecturapaisagista.utad.pt/

Lorna Allen
    Participant

NC State has a Prague Institute which caters to their College of Design. I studied there in the spring of 2009 and had the opportunity to work on a large scale urban planning project.

http://ncsudesign.org/content/index.cfm/fuseaction/page/filename/prague.html

neil travis mayes
    Participant

ya i studied in florence, italy with cal poly pomonas landscape architecture program, we also teamed up with other colleges from texas studying archtecture. great experience you should definitely do it if you have the opportunity, one of the most memorable college experiences. Travel alot and see many projects so plan accordingly to sites you want to visit.

Kelly Woodward
    Participant

I should clarify, i am searching for graduate studies in landscape architecture. Thanks!

Lorna Allen
    Participant

NC State requires their BLA to do study abroad and strongly suggests their MLA as well. The curriculum is designed so that the spring of the second year of the MLA program can be spent abroad or in a swing studio in another department or with UNC Chapel Hill in their planning department.

Tim Zhang
    Participant

I studied abroad in Beijing with urban planners and architects. It was great experience, really shows you how spaces can be used there. For example, I went to a random park at 11pm near where I was staying, and there were old people singing classical songs and dancing, teenagers rollerskating, hip hop dancing, playing guitars, sharing poetry, families spend time together, goes on and on. In the morning there the park was just flooded with older people playing chess, practicing taichi, singing, debating. Late afternoon its all students doing homework and dating. You go to a park here in the states near midnight, if you do see someone, he’s probably a drug dealer.

Kelly Woodward
    Participant

WOW, that sounds amazing! That type of use of the park isn’t by design, it’s by culture. Not that as a landscape designer I don’t strive to create spaces that foster this type of use, but it’s just not widespread in the American culture. Thanks for the tip. What was the University?

Gideon Spanjar
    Participant

Hi Kelly,

I study at the moment Landscape Architecture at Writtle School of Design near London. The school offers besides the Landscape architecture studies, Landscape management, Land art and Conservation. I also know that Greenwich offers more urban orientated studies. It just depends what you prefer so if you have questions just ask.

Greetz,

Gideon

Tim Zhang
    Participant

it was through Cal Poly Pomona, we stayed at NCUT in Beijing. There are two study abroad programs at Cal Poly Landscape program, the other is at Italy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register