Is it safe for an American to go work in China?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Is it safe for an American to go work in China?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jay Smith
    Participant

I’ve noticed a few job listings for LA’s to work in China. Is anyone here informed as to the safety level of Americans working in China?

Tom Ellenwood
    Participant

I did a three month internship in Hangzhou, China near Shanghai. I lived in an international dorm at one of the local universities. The only trouble I really had to deal with were bike thieves. There were a few international people in my office that had apartments in the city and didn’t have many problems as far as I know. I walked around at night by myself quite often actually.

Tom Paine
    Participant

I have worked there (spent 07 in Shanghai) and three others from US are in same firm–“safe” as far as crime, but air quality can be depressing and drivers are reckless–still, no one I know who is there minds that degree of unsafe.

Jay Smith
    Participant

Thanks guys for your replies. I’m also curious, did these companies help you obtain the proper visas/paperwork…or did they require you already have the necessary paperwork in place PRIOR to interviewing you?

Tom Ellenwood
    Participant

The head of the company had already planned to come see my university so I just met with him then. I had help from the company to set up the work visa because they had to send a letter to the consulate to get the visa accepted. you may be able to do a phone interview, email correspondence, or possibly some form of instant messaging interview-I doubt the latter would be true but the firm did use instant messaging a lot during work and it may be easier for them to type in English than to speak in English

ida
    Participant

I am currently working for a local architecture firm in Beijing and have been here for almost four months. It is very safe here and have had no problems other than adjusting to the food – I got sick almost everyday for the first few weeks, but I’m now okay (I guess my immune system adjusted).

In Beijing, you’ll have no problem walking alone. Just be friendly and they’ll be friendly back. Stay away from con artist as there are plenty in touristy areas who try to rip off the foreigners. Basically don’t be gullible and you’ll do okay.

As for the visa and other paper work, they helped me obtain my visas and paper work after they hired me. It’s pretty standard for a company to take care of their foreign workers!

If I may add, the hardest part of working abroad is not adjusting, but rather, leaving all my friends and family!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register