Is Shipping Container Architecture Going to Last, or is it just a fad?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLACES & SPACES Is Shipping Container Architecture Going to Last, or is it just a fad?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Shavawn Coleman
    Participant

Everyday I go on my usual architecture and design sites and see what the latest and greatest is. As I am browsing, I keep finding articles on cargo container/shipping container architecture. The more I read into it, it seems like it is a lot more work than I expected. I wonder, is this just a fad (like the wind suits of the 90’s) or is this something that is going to stick around for a while? I wrote a little piece on Shipping Container Architecture. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

I am not sure that I have ever seen anyone actually use shipping containers. It might be a highly localized material. Yes, this has Fad written all over it.

Boilerplater
    Participant

Not a fan.  There is a recently built house across the river from where I have a house that was built with shipping containers.  They butted them up against each other to (presumably) create larger interior spaces, but from the outside, it doesn’t look all that great.  They even left them in the red oxide primer color.  Google “container house, Yardley, PA” for some images.  I generally like the use of industrial materials in modern architecture, but most of these container houses just fall flat for me.  I think they can have a place as disaster housing in cities where you need density and there isn’t the space for FEMA trailers, like this: http://observer.com/2012/11/home-sweet-shipping-container-nycs-secret-plans-for-the-perfect-disaster-apartments/

The lack of suitable replacement housing in the New York region after Sandy has been an ongoing tragedy that you hear little about.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Wouldn’t a nice double-wide trailer be a much better home than a stack of storage containers? The modular double wides are really starting to look much nicer.

Boilerplater
    Participant

Yeah, they really are!  I want one of these:

http://www.claytonihouse.com/

This is from an established, major mobile and modular home builder, so there are some forces out there incentivizing better design. 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register