Job Search Checklist

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Guys,

I will be graduating in May and I want to make sure I am on the right track for landing that first real job. Here is a checklist that I have compiled for my job search.

What do you think? Am I missing anything?

Job Search Checklist

Resume and Portfolio

• Publish Online- Personal Website and Portfolio website. (Issuu)
    • Print hardcopy and distribute.
    • Upload to Company Website.
    • Upload to Job Search Site (ASLA, Indeed, Simply Hired)

Professional Development and Networking

• Attend Conferences
    • Travel to and attend local chapter meetings (ASLA, APA, ULI)
    • LinkedIn and Social media
    • Alumni Connections
    • General Networking

Contact With Firms

• Cold Emailing Companies
    • Applying for Jobs Online
    • Visiting Firms 

*I have a BLA and I will be graduating with a MUP in May.

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Very thorough.  I organized my job search like I would organize project folders at a job.  Each folder (and subfolders) is tailored to that one specific job.  That includes tailored resumes, cover letters, portfolios (yes they should be tailored to individual jobs).  I keep track of each job description in a master spreadsheet (who, what, when, why, and where).   I have a different system but I admire that you have thought about each aspect of the job search itself. 

In your system, I would add the following: 

Research Firms: 

What are they looking for?  Why are they hiring? How would I be the perfect candidate?  These are all questions you have to answer for your yourself and will not always be viewable in a job description. 

Interview Preparation:

Canned question answers, tailored question answers, body language/non verbal ques/eye contact prep work.  You would be surprised how many people really don’t do enough of this when interviewing. 

Second Interview Preparation

Same as above.  Although the emphasis will be more on personal chemistry. 

Thank You Notes Sent

On a side note, as a soon-to-be graduate, you will probably make more of a dent on social media sites through your contributions to ongoing discussions on topics.  Few people will likely notice, let alone ask for a connection, let alone offer a job interview, let alone offer a job, directly through LinkedIn if you are a complete stranger.  

just my two cents-

Tosh K
    Participant

Every school I know of has a ‘career center’ that offers workshops on networking/interviewing – go to those, it’s amazing how many little things matter.

I would add to landscapeplanners additions:

Work samples (3~4 pages of work highlights)

You’re most likely to land a job through a connection (faculty, alumni, friends, family) – milk your contacts for every lead.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register