Just Curious…

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

Well, I think some people do self-select out, but you have to remember that as you go back in time, there were fewer and fewer of us out there in the past (due to a continuing upward trend in numbers of schools and graduates over time). That is, perhaps many more of the “old people” did stay in the field on a percentage basis than might appear.

Heather Smith
    Participant

You do both. Get your hands dirty and do the business work.

Heather Smith
    Participant

I think what he is saying is more about pragmatism then idealism. Of course having the opportunity to work with multiple designers and feed off of each other is wonderful. But when we see post after post of people looking for work, do we finally come around to the assumption that those getting to do it are the ones doing it for themselves? No one is being handed opportunities in this profession…go out and get them.

landplanner
    Participant

Dr. MACdonald:

Glad to see your out there and still opinionated as ever. Your searing and piercing humor was much missed and a very welcome comeback. Keep it up compadre. 

Jay Smith
    Participant

You hit the nail on the head with the stability problem.   I think the only way I’d ever feel comfortable with this profession as a long term career is if I had a spouse with a stable job who was the sole breadwinner.  And I’m not sure how going it alone as some suggest is the answer either, as you are still at the mercy of those feeding you projects.  God what an uplifting thread!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register