LAND 8 "Job Board"

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I noticed that out of the (31) LA positions posted on the LAND 8 “job board” on March 5, 2018…..(18) of those Landscape Architecture jobs were located in……California and New York.

I’m wondering WHY any LA graduate would see an LA position in one of those (2) States? Very high cost of living. High State Income Taxes. In the past, I have done research on “housing” and other cost of living expenses in those 2 states…Apartments are unbelievably high priced…1 bedroom apartment in Los Angeles & San Francisco going for $2,500.00 and higher. Then, you have to look at “quality of life” in those areas. In California, 5 of the top most air pollution cities are in California (that include LA and San Francisco).

LA grads and experienced LAs should do a very thorough search for LA positions…..and do a TON of research on the City & State. Young LA grads especially have to be aware of their “cost of living expenses”, because, entry level LA jobs just don’t pay very much.

For me, even “weather” was always a consideration as to WHERE I wanted to design as a Landscape Architect. So, I have always chosen warm weather States in the South…and actually have spent 95% of my LA career in the Dallas area…where our winters aren’t that bad and only last 3 months.

Look at other job boards…..like Indeed,com. And, there are many more. Also, if you have at least 10 years of design experience, consider using a “job recruiter” to help you find the LA job you want.

GOOD LUCK!

J. Robert (Bob) Wainner – Plano, Texas

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register