Landscape Architect sallary in Dubai ?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Landscape Architect sallary in Dubai ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Oskar Średniawa
    Participant

I am considering moving to Dubai from UK.
    Can anyone tell me what salary I should expect (including accommodation/transportation allowance)?
    I’ve got MA in Landscape architecture and 3,5 years experience.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

W.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

I believe Steve Buckle would be a good person to contact.

Oskar Średniawa
    Participant

Thanks for reply ! I’ll get in touch with Steve

Roger Scales
    Participant

Dont even contemplate working there its Helldorado..think about the repulsive labour ghettoes !
    Sorry I just find Dubai repulsive and raised to the bait when I saw your question.

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

Roger, are you feelings based on personal experience in Dubai? What in specific did you find so repulsive there?

Rico Flor
    Participant

Yes, Roger. Do tell. As among the practitioners in the UAE, I’m interested to know.

Roger Scales
    Participant

Its the treatment of the labour force, based on an article I read by Ghaith Abdul-Ahad which can be found on the Guardian newspapers web site. Sorry just one of the things that gets me going at the moment….

Rico Flor
    Participant

Hi Roger.

A lot of your compatriots are actually doing well here professional and business-wise. My opinion is, they do not actually overlook or ignore the labour problems here. There could be in fact more, but this is more conjecture in my part rather than factual declaration – news censorship, unbalanced/discriminatory pay scales (aah..that, i should know…), a cultural milieu that is somewhat at odds with any expatriate’s scheme of things, a lack of a professional landscape architectural organization (one reality I’d like reversed). Rather, they try to face the UAE challenge as they know how – as professional landscape architects. Call it a romantic notion, but we try, in our own way, to put more substance in and raise the bar of the local practice as we see fit. And meanwhile frown upon the labour conditions…

Do check the place out personally, don’t be blinded by the bling-bling the place promotes, be street-smart and optimistic, and most of all, be the landscape architect (all of the 20 experienced years) we young’uns look up to, then help us shape Dubai or the other Dubais of the world. Gee, didn’t want to pontificate, but hey, let’s get us going on a more upbeat “thang”.

Cheers!

Rico Flor
    Participant

Hello Oskar.

I sent this link to Chris M. before. You might want to try this out: http://www.uaelandscapearchitect.com/.

Cheers!

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

Here is the article mentioned above: ‘We Need Slaves to Build Monuments’

I have to agree that the article is very moving, however, I have to agree more with Rico that the answer to the problem is not telling people not to work there. As Ghandi once said, “you have to be the change you want to see in the world.” If this is truly an issue that upsets you, you should be encouraging landscape architects to go there and help fight for labour issues from within the country. Sounds like one way that Rico has already suggested this can be done, is by helping the local landscape architects get organized and start their own professional landscape architecte organization (something that I feel most members of this site have experience with), which could then create a strong entity in the industry to address the issues.

I am sure Dubai is not the only place you will find these issues.

Roger Scales
    Participant

Rico,
    Thats good to know, Im probably suffering from a bit of bing bling envy. Our proposed major developments are grinding to a halt and we are being left with large holes in the ground..but potential sites for new parks ! Check out the bradford regeneration web site for Allsops masterplan, its a shame after 4 years we havnt built an inch of it yet.
    have a good weekend.

Rico Flor
    Participant

Hello Guys.

One thing I do notice is that corporate clients here are very shrewd and often engage a lot of consultants while screening themselves with layers of representatives. They seem to, in my mind, collect and select a lot of expertise – often simultaneously – get the most agreeable based on their objectives (often market driven, serious consideration of planning, urban design and ecology is rarely 100%….but there are efforts to that direction), and can easily cut off another engaged consultant as they please. Sad for those who willingly shut their eyes for deals whilst contracts aren’t done properly, or aren’t done at all. Heads get easily lopped off with that bling-filled move.

Yes, Kevin, a professional association is direly needed. Been trying to help for two years. Still trying. Heard that this is the third attempt in the history of the UAE…

Time for me to spend my remaining weekend sans office chatter. Cheers!

Oskar Średniawa
    Participant

Thank you Gents for your opinions! I ‘d like to make some move and Dubai seems to be quite attractive to me.

Roger Scales
    Participant

ps I still dont think you should go.

Oskar Średniawa
    Participant

Roger, I really appreciate your advice, but English weather and cost of living make me mad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register