LARE SECTION A – woes for a 24 year veteran in the industry….

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE LARE SECTION A – woes for a 24 year veteran in the industry….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Laura SD Greloch
    Participant

Okay, I am utterly frustrated… is anyone out there in my situation?

Okay, already: I have taken Section A: 5 times now, last in March 2010(first time at a Prometric  Testing Facility). Had purchased the lastest study materials from PPL and left the test feeling good!

Why am I so totally deceived by theses questions and is there any recourse for a candidate with 24 years experince in the industry and the rest of the licensure exam long behind me?

Elizabeth Renton
    Participant

i feel your pain. it’s a frustrating guessing-game process. I think your 24 years experience is what’s hurting you. It seems like the LARE poses questions and answers that are based on LARE world, not the real world. I came across so many practice test questions that i COMPLETELY disagreed with the correct ‘answers’ that were given. I polled other members of my office about some of these ridiculous questions, and they agreed with my reasoning and logic, but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter what you think. There’s only one right answer and if you don’t choose it, oh well, so sorry. The more real world experience you have, the harder the test is.

Griping aside, I can only share what seemed helpful to me while I was studying. Go through every practice test you can get your hands on. It will at least expose you to a wide variety of material. The PPI study guides are at least helpful in that they provide explanations in the answer key. Ready Set Practice by Bruce Sharky is a good collection of helpful info. Also read through an entire project manual of contract documents for one of your projects.

Jonathan Smith, RLA
    Participant

I used the reading list included in the LARE review materials. Get a book on professional contracts, engineering, architecture, surveying, it’ll all be the same. I read a book on engineering contracts and found it very helpful when taking the test.

I also used the review booklet and reviewed anything that I was unclear about

Also, flash cards…

Pat S. Rosend
    Participant

What does section A cover?

Laura SD Greloch
    Participant

Section A covers Professional Aspects of Practice. Laws & Torts, Contractor Relationships, Contracts, etc.

Laura SD Greloch
    Participant

Elizabeth:

Thanks for your reply! It is encouraging just to have some Moral Support out there! I am on the fence about taking the exam again and a bit humiliated that I am struggling with this last section. It is ridiculous how impractical these exams seem but at the same time unfortunate to those good stewards of the land that are judged otherwise!.

ann gilkey
    Participant

Laura,
    I just passed A after being out of school and away from a firm for 13 years. I studied all the available tests, read all of the books (five of them, I think. available on interlibrary loan) on the reading list and researched everything on the ppi that i did not know all about. (even the wrong answers). I also looked at project manuals. I passed and I have not been so fortunate with other sections so I must have been doing something right.

Laura SD Greloch
    Participant

Good News! After taking Section A again in September 2012, I am happy to announce that I have finally passed! And am now on my way to seeking licensure! Never give up is my new motto!

toby
    Participant

Congrats.  What did you do differently this time around ?

Rick Spalenka
    Participant

When taking a multiple choice test I find it helpful to not look for the right answer. I eliminate the more wrong answers. Sometimes I don’t even look at the remaining answer because it just makes me angry.

Rick Spalenka
    Participant

The first time I took my registered nurse exam (yea, I’m both an RN and a PLA) I looked for the right answer and only answered 75% of the test before my time ran out. The second time I took the test I eliminated the wrong answers without looking for the right answer and passed in record time. I disagreed with the right answer but knew the others were flat outright wrong.

Tosh K
    Participant

Congrats!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register