Lawn

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Lisa Town
    Participant

I agree, it should be designed specifically for certain uses that required it. I also hate seeing lawns in strange shapes and sizes and in places where it could’ve been anything else.

Nicholas Pugliese
    Participant

I have used moss in a similar situation. Apply liquid a liquid sulfur spray to help move the PH in the direction you want it. Check out http://www.mossacres.com

Andrew Kanzler
    Participant

I got a neighbor across the street with a Carex Pansa lawn. I have no problem walking on it or rolling around in it. it doesn’t get too high. also got it over at my house growing between some urbanite

Yuko Tanabe
    Participant

Breath taking job! Wow!

Rico Flor
    Participant

I’m a fan of Oehms and Van Sweden, so grass to my mind is tall, maybe bushy, can be solitary, not necessarily a surface. I lean towards the “hate” side though I don’t totally condemn it. It has a place in the landscape (and best with sheep, sand dunes, a golf club and a lot of Scottish brogue)…

Roland Beinert
    Participant

I guess I’m ok with lawn as long as it really serves a purpose, is sized for that purpose and there’s an appropriate type of grass for whatever region. But I think sometimes lawn is used as an easy way out of finding a better solution. There’s plenty of alternatives out there. They don’t take quite as much foot traffic, but a lot of times lawns are very rarely used as intended, anyway. Sometimes there’s even areas where no one’s allowed to walk on the lawn.
    Also, does anyone else find lawn boring? I think huge areas with just lawn are pretty monotonous. Sometimes I secretly root for the dandelions simply because they add a little interest.
    Here’s a website I’ve always liked: http://www.stepables.com/

Jennifer de Graaf
    Participant

not a fan of the lawn. blog post here.

Bob Luther
    Participant

First of all there is a diference between turf and lawn, turf is a plant material or a grass, a lawn is a space with low growing plant material most notibly turfgrass. Second, in northern climates where cool season grasses grow do a google search for Eco-Turf by Tom Cook, he is a now retired turfgrass expert out of Oregon State University, he helped to develop series of seed mixtures that include low growing varieties of turfgrass, clover (for natural nitrogen addition to the soil), mini-yarrow for green color in drought cycles, and other low growing annuals and perenials such as daisy and lavender. When uses the lawsa re w3atered lightly once a week, and can go with a light mowing once every couple of weeks (with the clippings mulched and returned to the lawn- this keeps a large portion of the nitrogen in the turf system). no pesticides or herbicides are reqiured because some of the plants included in the seed mix would be killed, this mix is really like a micro-meadow (about 3″ tall). Lastly if you want to green up you lawn don’t use high nitrogen fertilizer (the first number on the ferilizer i.e 24-10-16) try to find a fertilizer with low nitrogen (under 15) and added Iron. Iron wil green up you lawn with out the growth spurt that nitrogen causes (no growth spurt – no excessive mowing/excessive watering)

Vance W. Hall
    Participant

It just depends if it works for the area. I live in denver and a lawn thrives here with little effort. On the other hand I am from north Texas where it is very windy and dry so a lawn is silly and wasteful there.

It often comes down to price per square foot. It is hard to sell an existing HOA group, commercial client, etc. that they should spend 10x plus on shrubs,groundcover , or perennial beds than on turf lawns. With the increase in smarter grasses water consumption is dropping to reasonable numbers.

Nice discussion Lisa and great pic Timbutong.
    Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register