Macs Vs PCs

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    mauiBob
    Participant

Oohh really? These were the very same arguments from PC users when I was in school from 1993 to 1998. Name at least “2” computer viruses for Macs while I give you 10 for PCs. I seriously doubt your grad student story. Again, you are the misinformed about the cost of Macs. You pay more upfront, but save in the long run.There’s also this theory about computer virus and hackers tend to be PC users, because the hackers led miserable lives in their basement dungeon. And please don’t use the internet to search for Mac virus. I want known, functioning and active Mac virus,  not speculations.

“Another reason why Apple computers pick up very few viruses is their stability. Mac OS X, which is the operating system that has run on most Apple computers for the last few years, was programmed using what is referred to as a “Unix Kernel.” This means that Apple took the basics of an older operating system (Unix) and improved upon it to create Mac OS X. Unix, despite its age, is still one of the most secure operating systems ever created.” 

J. Thomas Gebauer
    Participant

Also, PC’s are easier to upgrade. I was able to buy a laptop and use it through my 5 years by simply upgrading my RAM and hard drive. Parts for PC’s are easy to find and cheap compared to buying Mac parts.  Which also leads to being able to have a more powerful machine if you buy the right parts.

mauiBob
    Participant

You do realize that Autocad is now in Mac version?

J. Thomas Gebauer
    Participant

I don’t know computer viruses by name. So I can’t argue against your arbitrary numbers. But if you doubt my grad student story I seriously question if you were ever in a LA program… ALL of the grad students used ArcMap GIS products at my school. Plus every undergrad has to use it for one studio as well. All I’m saying is that getting a Mac can lead to headaches.

mauiBob
    Participant

That’s because Macs don’t break down and why upgrade when the Mac you originally purchased is already superior? That’s why you pay more for upfront cost on a Mac and save later. Less overall upgrades!!!

So you buy 2 or 3 Windows based machines and say it cost you less than 1 Mac? Beautiful.

J. Thomas Gebauer
    Participant

I forgot that Mac’s were built with magical hardware that never becomes out of date. In case you haven’t noticed, all hardware becomes out of date eventually. Hard drives get bigger, more memory becomes available. I never have had a part on my Lenovo laptop break, but I have upgraded hardware as previously mentioned. I run all the newest software and operating system on my unit w/o any problems and my overall system is 5 years old. Any computer, no matter who makes it eventually goes out of date. You can pay $2k for a new Mac then it’s out of date in three years and buy another $2k Mac or you can buy a $1.1k PC then buy $150 in parts in three years. I realize you hate PC’s. I don’t hate Macs but they are just unreasonably high priced. As I mentioned in my original post there are benefits to Mac’s. I’d at least consider getting one if they weren’t ridiculously high priced and associated with pomposity.

http://www.switched.com/2009/09/01/apple-quietly-admits-macs-get-viruses/

ALEX P
    Participant

Woof.

This is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. And you get to carry a free brick with you where ever you want because the battery life is so crappy. Lots of great reasons to own a PC.. I personally love Ctrl + Alt + Delete.  I would be so ashamed to carry around anything that even resembeled a pc, or even worse when pc’s copy of a mac..see sony viao. Yes, they look great when you bring them home… 3 months later after all the virus it looks like something pulled out of titanic (if even that good).  

DO NOT BUY A PC. 

PS. MACS HAVE AUTO CAD, AND IT IS WAAAAYYYY BETTER!

ALEX P
    Participant

head aches??? and pcs are just peachy… ever heard of the blue screen of death?

ALEX P
    Participant

Robert, you are so smart! Thank you.

mauiBob
    Participant

You don’t know any Mac virus because there’s virtually none out there, unlike the PC world. Just trying to clear up your earlier comment. You could never be a Mac user; its not in your DNA. Although, you probably own an iPod. That’s because your computer department is backed up by Windows based companies. ArcMap is given to Universities for free in hopes students use it in their profession careers. Go visit your Art department and tell me what computers they are using.

If you doubt me, then I guess my classmate at Idaho is also fiction? You haven’t been a member on Land8 long enough. http://land8lounge.com/group/uila

Try actually owning a Mac AND PC, then compare and come to your conclusions. All of your comments lean toward a PC with no past experience owning a Mac. Macs are actually easier to upgrade and PC Magazine even made note of it. Get educated on both platforms. Its the same about people who make vague remarks about BMW cars without ever driving or owning a model.

mauiBob
    Participant

Lenovo??! That’s like driving only a Chevy Aveo and calling it best car in the world. All the souped up PCs I see on Best Buy or PC World are also $2k and up. Lenovo products last about 13 months tops before it blows up. A current Mac laptop would still be in use 100 years from now…with no upgrades and virus free.

Tosh K
    Participant

Depends on what software you’re required to use – I went with an old mac to school and used their machines for the first year (most of our work could be done adequately and I chose to do a lot more hand models and drawings); bought a top of the line mac laptop that hasn’t slowed done yet (5 years later).  I had to use the school computers for Rhino and ArcMap, but ran AutoCAD just fine running a virtual windows environment.

Top of the line PCs with comparable processors, RAM and a good graphics card will run similar to a Mac.  Just make sure you’re buying quality.  I’ve seen first hand students losing their computers right in the rush of the end of semester – it’s ugly (and happens both to PCs and Macs, for some reason the macbooks from a few years back came with a sensitive drive).

I found my mac laptop was faster than the school’s pc desktops in Adobe software in the first year, but the upgraded computers did better the following.  Generally, my experience is that with laptops macs tend to be more bang for your buck (and will last you a couple of years longer without slowing down); pc desktops with a little less fire power would probably get you through school at considerably less cost than mac ones.

As far as AutoCAD goes, can anyone verify that the current mac version runs stably as the windows version?  I keep on hearing about stability issues.

J. Thomas Gebauer
    Participant

http://www.consumersearch.com/laptops/reviews  Lenovo are top.

Internet tough guy, you are.

Tim Zhang
    Participant

Mac now has Autocad, but you can’t use any express tools, tool palettes, e-transmit, one workspace limit, filter, quick select, in-place edit for blocks and xrefs, and dozens of other features firm use on a daily basis. While it might get you through school work, why would you handicap  the developmental years of your career by limiting urself to only the basic features of the one software that every single new professional will need to use? If Mac is better, why is almost every single firm PC based? For those who say that you can run Windows on Mac… why would you pay hundreds of dollars extra for a windows license?

With a 500 dollar PC you can do everything you’ll need to get through MLA. So get a PC. Get a Mac if you are the type of people who likes to look cool inside Starbucks, who drinks a single cup of mocha over a course of 8 hours while blogging in Helvetica and editing clips you took of your dog in iMovie.

Greg Burwood
    Participant

I was a PC user for years then changed to mac. Best decision of my life.

I now have windows 7 running on bootcamp (restart) or through vmware (on the fly). When I do switch (for 3dmax) I can’t wait to get back to the mac environment. Apart from max (starting to use rhino for mac) I only ever go back to update antivirus and maintenance- end up fiddling + wasting my time with just trying to keep windows happy.

As I said, I never use windows now.

macs are also not as expensive as they say if you compare apples with apples as far as I’m concerned. The apps are excellent and seamless integration with iphone, ipad etc.

I applaud apple for making sure developers follow strict coding and design requirements. Sometimes less freedom is more freedom.

apologies if I sound like a fanboi !

anyway best of luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register