Macs Vs PCs

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    mauiBob
    Participant

Tim,

Do you just read 1 or 2 comments, then form your own conclusions? Read this trend from start to finish, don’t just come in with your great wisdom in the middle of the discussion. Judging from where you work, I can see why you have bottled up frustrations! Haha! I’ve known 2 people in the past who worked in your office and absolutely hated it!

Dude, this is not a Mac problem. Macs are doing fine. Check the links below. This is a Autodesk problem. Autodesk decided to create an Autocad version for Macs because of the recent surge in popularity. Its a business decision. Mac is not behind anything. Its ridiculous comments from PC guys like yourself who turn these trends into a circus. Do you get it? My original post (on page 1) was simple and to the point. Then, the PC geeks chime in with your arrogance and cute, little Starbucks observation stories. I did fine in school without Autocad on my PowerMac. You Windows’ users talk like Microsoft is number one in business or most admired company. Guess who is? 

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/05/apple-passes-microsoft/

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/mostadmired/2011/index.html 

Even the LA Lakers or Chicago Bulls couldn’t do a Championship 4peat like Apple has done with Most Admired Company, 4 years running. Apple as a Company is behind only ExxonMobil. That’s simply amazing turnaround in just 10 years! More market value than Walmart, UPS, Chevron, GM, Ford, Honda, whatever. You Microsoft kissers didn’t know that fact, huh? You learn something new everyday.

mauiBob
    Participant

Anthony, I said “some of us have jobs to do” didn’t specifically imply you. I read people’s profiles and all of their comments before making a rebuttal. Call it misinterpretation on your behalf. My links show what most PC window users don’t know about Apple computer as a company. But, I bet a lot of these guys own an iPod. I gotta run, instead of staying here at the office county building typing on a Dell computer. I’m going home to my Gateway laptop and yes, I don’t even currently own a Mac. More on this tomorrow as I put an end to my responses once and for all. 

To answer your question, I always loved Apple the company. I have several classmates from Cal Poly and Idaho to testify for me. If you purchased stocks at $6 per and saw your financial portfolio rise to over $700k with AAPL in a short 10 years, you too would be in love with the company. We received a letter last week informing all shareholders of “a shakeup” within the organization. How will you cast your proxy vote? 

Anthony Parziale
    Participant

Was definitely my misunderstanding.  Thanks for clarifying.

As far as my questioning your interest in Apple, it was not meant to be offensive….was more simply a question to understand your interest in the company and was asked because you had mentioned it as affording you a retirement later in life a few times.  Again was really just trying to understand from your point of view is all.  You’re very right, if my portfolio was doing that well, I would absolutely be in love with the company too….my stake is much less but I definitely understand where you’re coming from.

Thanks for responding….peace!

Joshua Elam
    Participant

save more in the long run?  How?  The software on mac that generally costs more than the PC.  Windows upgrades are free, as is the Defender that keeps it clean. The longevity of the computer relies completely on the user, my IBM from 2005 is still going great cause I care for it.

If you want a machine that gets work done on the cheap, PC.  If you wanna look hip at Starbucks and dick around, get a mac.  IMO, of course  🙂

Miles Barnard
    Participant

COMPLETELY FALSE: VECTORWORKS (ORIGINALLY MINICAD) WAS CREATED FOR THE MAC!!

Zeke Cooper
    Participant

Buy a Mac, then buy a student copy of VM Fusion or Parrellels for about 30 bucks, student Windows 7 Ultimate for about 80 bucks, then you have a PC and a Mac……..PROBLEM SOLVED!

Anne Jones
    Participant

I’ve been running Autocad 2009 on my Mac Book for the past year. I have VMware Fusion installed on it so that it functions as both a Mac or PC. The interface works well but it takes a bit longer to boot up in the PC mode. I also use Sketchup and I like the way it functions on the Mac better than the PC. Being a former long-time PC user, I am much happier with my Mac. And hopefully Autodesk will release Autocad LT for the Mac soon. Good luck in your studies.

Heather Smith
    Participant

We have always had great luck with refurbished Dells! We still have a refurbished desktop from six years ago when my husband first went to school. It has recently had issues connecting to the internet. We also had a lap top that we never had problems with…the only people that had laptop issues when I was in school was someone with an HP (repeatedly had issues) and the one Mac user had issues with certain programs that we used.

You won’t be as hip with a PC but you will save yourself money. For me, I am too old to care about being cool.

I just read all the posts. I don’t get the emotion about computers. hhmm. Does anyone know if Bricscad works on a Mac? We are using that because…yep! It’s cheaper! haha…and can still be opened by CAD users. For us, it always comes down to the cost. That said…I am not typing on a $500 lap top…more like $1800…it has everything we need because it was built for our needs.

Anthony Parziale
    Participant

HP’s seem to be hit or miss. Both my new and old laptops are HP and I’m pretty happy with them. Like you though, they’re higher end models and well furnished power wise. I do like my old one better..though that was top top of the line…cost me close to 3000 bucks…even the sales rep I spoke to said he was jealous…lol. My new one is ok but not as good my old one. One problem I do have with both is the overheating…HP’s are known for it….just stinks.

I think one point that may be getting overlooked here is that, with the Intel architecture of modern Macs, you can also run Windows either as a separate system or within a virtual machine…IF you need it….so you would really never be limited in the software you could use.  (If that got brought out in the other comments, I’m sorry…there are obviously strong feelings on both sides and I don’t have time to read through all of them.) For the record, our LA office is all Mac (there are 10 workstations and a server) and I can manage all of them when it comes to tech support, because typically things really do just work or they can be resolved fairly quickly.  My own system is one of the early-generation MacBook Pros from 2007, and the only thing I’ve ever done to it is add RAM and lubricate the fans.  And I do have Windows on my machine because there is a web site on which I have to fill out forms and it just won’t work except in Internet Explorer.  No computer is perfectly problem-free.  It all depends on how much you know about them and what repairs (either hardware or software) you are comfortable undertaking yourself.  You might also research the applications you will use because many of them will provide student versions for free or at a significant discount (they may either expire in a year or just be ineligible for upgrading).

Patrick Webb
    Participant

I recently graduated and now work at a small firm.  I had a macbook throughout my degree program and it is still running strong.  I have been a simultaneous mac and pc user for the past 10-12 years.  It seems most people on this thread are either a “fan” of mac or pc and spew their opinions about them respectively and so, after reading through some of them most posts should be taken with a grain of salt.  It would seem that anyone who claims that “Macs are a status symbol”  etc., etc., have never really used a mac, or are bitter about them for some strange reason.  There is a reason that Mac users swear by Macs.

Due to the fact that Macs can run emulation software and in turn run windows programs, the need for an actual pc solely for the sake of software is becoming obsolete.  Autodesk now gives out ALL of its programs for FREE to students after they set up an education account.  Others such as Sketchup have very affordable student pricing.  Products from Adobe were created from the start with macs in mind since macs have always been at the forefront of the digital imaging realm, and because of this I think their interface is more clean, streamlined, and functional.

Talking with teachers as well as professionals I have heard of firms that are switching to macs across the board, firms that are switching to windows cloud computing across the board, and those that swear by their tried and true pc setups.  What really matters is that files are transferable across platforms.  In this case, I have found that Macs tend to have more ability in reading files than PCs, which tend to have trouble reading some mac formated disks, files etc.

In the end the decision should come down to your personal computing preferences, e.g. – everything else about the computer that you plan on using it for, not just L.A. related tasks.  I find that the user interface for macs fits me better, it is my preference.  So, you should go shop around, test out as many computers as you can, price them, and then decide. Whether you get a PC or Mac, this investment should serve you in a more holistic sense than just for school.  This will be your personal computer and should fit you, not someone else.

Heather Smith
    Participant

Yes I think that is the problem my classmate had with hers. It always happened right during crunch time of course. Her husband worked for HP so she was constantly having to send one back and get another one.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

As with any laptop, do research and find reviews for any model you are considering, and if there are no reviews and the deal seems too good to be true, DO NOT BUY.  Some notebooks have some serious design flaws.  My brother purchased an HP, and the heat sink for the CPU was shared with the on-board video, which is a seriously fail.  The CPU gets very hot and the end result is the evaporation of video connections on the motherboard leading to no video output on any screen, even an external monitor.

It is a fairly inconvenient and expensive fix.

Tim Zhang
    Participant

You need to re read the thread from the beginning. Original poster ask for insight on a computer that better supports the programs she’ll be using, she is not investing in stock. Why don’t you post something constructive than insulting my workplace or posting old newspaper ads and web comics?

mauiBob
    Participant

Tim,

You need to look at page 1 at my “original” response. It was simple and to the point. I didn’t attack anyone or make cute, Starbucks comments. You PC users seem to think Mac users are superior, when its also vice versa. Your “Starbucks” comment was a subtle way of looking down at Mac users.

The latest comments from people in here should put an end to these debates. With using the most current Mac computer, you CAN easily switch to Windows or Mac OS environment. You get the best of both worlds. Autodesk decided to make Autocad for Mac OS because of the surging popularity. It makes business sense. Old newspaper ads? Those old newspaper ads are prelude to the new reality in the technology industry, where Apple and Google lead the way by making Windows more and more irrelevant.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register