Macs Vs PCs

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Cara McConnell
    Participant

I dunno, Jon Q but last time I checked a Mac laptop cost less than your $3,000 PC machine. The virus/stability thing is real. Before you criticize, learn about the opposition.

The misinformed, ignorance and delusional continue to ramble on. Those who don’t know are truly out of touch. Your descriptions about Macs are obsolete and inaccurate. The latest Macs are able to run windows software without any addition. Today’s Macs are equipt with dual Intel chips and you can switch platforms in 2 steps or clicks. I run or have installed Autocad 2006 full version and Autocad 2009 LT on my 2011 MacBook Pro with no issues. All my other software uses Mac system. No need to buy a PC in my humble opinion.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

The misinformed, ignorance and delusional continue to ramble on. Right Joshua? Those who don’t know are truly out of touch. Your descriptions about Macs are obsolete and inaccurate. The latest Macs are able to run windows software without any addition. Today’s Macs are equipt with dual Intel chips and you can switch platforms in 2 steps or clicks. I run or have installed Autocad 2006 full version and Autocad 2009 LT on my 2011 MacBook Pro with no issues. All my other software uses Mac system. No need to buy a PC in my humble opinion.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

The misinformed, ignorance and delusional continue to ramble on. Right Jared? Those who don’t know are truly out of touch. Your descriptions about Macs are obsolete and inaccurate. The latest Macs are able to run windows software without any addition. Today’s Macs are equipt with dual Intel chips and you can switch platforms in 2 steps or clicks. I run or have installed Autocad 2006 full version and Autocad 2009 LT on my 2011 MacBook Pro with no issues. All my other software uses Mac system. No need to buy a PC in my humble opinion.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

The misinformed, ignorance and delusional continue to ramble on. Right Tim? Those who don’t know are truly out of touch. Your descriptions about Macs are obsolete and inaccurate. The latest Macs are able to run windows software without any addition. Today’s Macs are equipt with dual Intel chips and you can switch platforms in 2 steps or clicks. I run or have installed Autocad 2006 full version and Autocad 2009 LT on my 2011 MacBook Pro with no issues. None. All my other software uses Mac system. No need to buy a PC in my humble opinion. There’s no paying hundreds of extra dollars, just the Windows system software to run your Autocad.

Learn the opposition before making such outlandish comments. You sound like Sarah Palin.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

Let me give you my 2 cents worth: I am a graphic designer and former landscape designer. I’m employed by an advertising agency/graphic design firm in Las Vegas. We use iMacs on all of our machines. Our primary softwares are Adobe CS Web version, Persuasion, inDesign, Msword, Fontographer, Realsoft 3D, Poser, Color It, Painter and iPhoto. These are the tools of my trade for my office machine. Out of a group of 16 designers, 3 use the Windows system and the rest use Mac system. Keep in mind all use the Mac hardware. It’s worker preference on which system they are most comfortable to work on. Nobody has issues on networking, file exchanges, etc. The final product is what counts most, regardless of how you get there.

The misinformed, ignorance and delusional continue to ramble on. Those who don’t know are truly out of touch. Your descriptions about today’s Macs are obsolete and inaccurate. The latest Macs are able to run windows software without any addition. Today’s Macs are equipt with dual Intel chips and you can switch platforms in 2 steps or clicks. I run or have installed Autocad 2006 full version and Autocad 2009 LT on my 2011 MacBook Pro. All my other software uses Mac system. No need to buy a PC in my personal opinion. Also, when you purchase your Mac through the University, you can get an educational discount. When you add everything, the cost difference between the two become less of a factor…unless you’re a cheapskate! Like guys who buy cheap shoe brands and take you to creepy restaurants for dinner. Some PC users in here admitted to buying a Windows computer at $2,000 or more. A MacBook Pro cost less.

Heed my advice and go with the Mac. You also have a better resale value with a used Mac. Visit the Apple Store online. However, a PC can make sense too if you really prefer the Windows system and functions.

My main question for you is why extending your education in LA? I made a career change 2 years ago when I was laid-off. I found this part-time work as a graphic designer which led to full-time work, while also attending graduate school in Accounting at UNLV. I finish next Fall and already have offers for a Fall semester internship at 3 various companies. I leave my current job in end of August. I breath a sigh of relief for making this move and I clearly see my future prospect is brighter now than with landscape architecture. But, everybody’s situation is different. So good luck!

Tim Zhang
    Participant
    Tim Zhang
    Participant

My comments were on Autocad for mac, ofcourse you can always boot to the superior Windows mode to make things work.

Tim Zhang
    Participant

I used to work on an iMac in my old job, while the dual OS option is there, I had no need for the Mac OS because my job relied on softwares such as ArcGis, Autocad, and 3d rendering programs. I wasn’t impressed with the hardware of mac computers for their price. Both modern PC or Mac systems run less hardware intensive programs fine, but for hefty tasks such as 3d rendering, Windows open architecture PCI bus allow a wide video subsystem.  Mac, though PCI, is severely bottle-necked. I’m glad mac works better for your work needs, but I consider myself as a typical entry level production person and I personally find PCs better for my duties. The iMac screen was pretty though.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

You haven’t read the comments after your post, Heather. After reading everyone’s post, I’ve come to realize that the PC users simply do not understand or have any knowledge of the current Mac OX Lion. Their references from Macs are obsolete, because they refer to using the old Macs. I haven’t read anyone here with the latest from Apple, hence the problem. The Macs now come with dual, Intel chips and you can easily switch from Mac OS to Windows in basically 2 clicks. You have windows and all it’s software operating inside a Mac hardware. That’s the genius of Apple. The only time I ever switch to Windows system is when I use Autocad 2009 LT, which is almost never. But, it works fine and I’ve heard Sketchup works better on Macs.

As I stated below, it doesn’t make me any difference what people decide to choose, but just for people to get their facts straight. Your $1800 PC laptop cost more than an iMac or MacBook Pro. That is another myth about Mac pricing. The perception that it cost significantly more than PC.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

Autocad for Macs, huh? Maybe so, but that’s a moot point since the new Macs can run Windows programs out of the box and no additional money involved as you stated earlier. No money because everybody can find a pirated copy of Windows someplace. You were using the old Mac OS at your previous job and not OS Lion with the Intel chips. Otherwise, you would know there’s no need for the Mac version of Autocad. Autocad the Windows version will work on the new Macs. I bet you didn’t know that and probably now impressed, but can’t openly admit it.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

No need for additional antivirus, Frank. None. The new Mac OS Lion has all the protection you need out of the box. PC users simply do not know about the current Apple computers and it can run Windows softwares. Therefore, no need for version of Autocad for Macs, because Autocad for Windows runs just as effectively. You can toggle between the Mac and Windows platforms. Even the 3 button mouse works on my 2011 MacBook Pro. How do like them apples?

Tim Zhang
    Participant

Heather Smith
    Participant

You mean before my post? Because of course I wouldn’t be responding to someone before they wrote.;) I did read the previous posts.

I have no problem with Macs or Pcs…I just don’t care as much as some people. We are not shopping for a computer right now so I was just speaking from my experiences. Have I used a Mac…nope. I could really careless what anyone else uses. haha. You are correct that I assume that Macs are more expensive and in the future we will take a look. At the same point, because all of our experience is with PCs we also have to weigh whether the benefits people talk about here with a Mac are a good exchange for having to learn how to use the Mac. As easy as everyone says they are the classmate I had w/ a Mac always had problems with the universities programs. I am sure things get easier but at this point our PC is just what we need. We are a small design/build firm that uses Bricscad and makes fliers with InDesign. Our needs are different from those of a large firm putting together portfolios for multimillion dollar projects. Heck…Jon usually communicates planting plans and residential design to clients with hand graphics. Yep. Hand graphics…so ultimately it is up to what each user needs.

Anthony Parziale
    Participant

Ohhhh…I miss doing plans and renderings by hand!! I love doing up graphics on the computer but there’s still nothing like good ol’hand graphics!!

Samuel Clark Larsen
    Participant

Hi Leigha….

The shear delight of having zero problems with a Mac, compared to the constant issues you will face with a PC, offsets

any advantage Microsoft may have vis-a-vis software would prompt me to go with a Mac.

If you aske me. Grin.

Best of luck with your MLA,

Sam

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register