Name these trees… found in North Wales.

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLANTS & HORTICULTURE Name these trees… found in North Wales.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Names these trees.  They can be found in north Wales…

Laburnum anagyroides

Ernst Glaeser
    Participant

Goldregen,  

Laburnum × watereri “Vossii” (Voss’s laburnum)

mark foster
    Participant

Laburnum photoshopsis

Ernst Glaeser
    Participant

Hi Mark, just for you:

Golden chain tree is a small deciduous tree or large shrub that is noted for its pendulous axillary racemes of yellow, wisteria-like flowers that bloom in spring. It is a hybrid cross between L. alpinum and L. anagyroides. It typically grows 25-30’ tall as a tree and 15-20’ tall as a shrub. Trifoliate, clover-like, medium green leaves (to 3” long) produce little fall color. ‘Vossii’ is a cultivar that produces pea-like yellow flowers in drooping racemes to 24” long in a profuse and often spectacular late spring bloom. Flowers give way to seedpods that ripen in the fall. All parts of this tree are poisonous.

The grafting is clearly seen, and not all is photoshop enhanced, spoiled by your own practice?

Les Ballard
    Participant

Laburnum in the local park with wisteria and ash on a metal framework.  This was a walled garden to a cluniac priory.  Because a few children suffered and the public became newly aware – for their generation – of the poisonous nature especially of the seeds, which little children might think were peas or sweets, many were cut from suburban gardens some years ago.  Perhaps because of their nature – and spiritually – the timber is said to represent death and used as a staff by those seeking to have to do with that side of things – undertakers maybe – though blackthorn is widely favoured as a stick, staff, knobkerrie and so on and beech, oddly, is supposedly ruled by saturn – one time planet of death though, since neptune was found, that is now more a planet of mystery.  On the strength of the flowers of laburnum, yellow not purple, you would normally attribute them to the sun and heart – well they certainly stop it working yet the timber has been used for boxes and turned items for centuries.

mark foster
    Participant

Hi Ernst,, just for you….

Sorry about the poor attempt at humor–the photo looked like a glam shot to me and I couldn’t resist.

I did not mean to suggest a forgery, or to demean anyone’s enthusiasm about this subject.  

Ernst Glaeser
    Participant

I can take it, having worked in some obscure countries where photoshop enhencement and copy and paste was the high end of some of my col. made me a bit touchy in that subject.

Edward Gates
    Participant

I agree with Ernst – Laburnum x species. The smoothness of the bark and irregularities of the branch form is certainly a feature of Laburnum. 

Les Ballard
    Participant

Oh you couldnt do it any more too many health and safety issues you would need armed guards to protect folk from committing suicide by eating the seeds lol,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register