Northwest Planting Guides

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Hadden
    Participant

I just moved to Seattle and don’t know much about the local horticultural practices, so I thought I’d check to see if anyone had a recommendation for books/guides on plants of the Northwest. I’m moving from Dallas, TX where I had collected a few good go-to books (i.e. Native Texas Plants: Landscaping Region by Region by Sally and Andy Wasowski) when doing planting designs, and I’d like to find something similar for my designs in Seattle.

I know going through a nursery’s inventory can give a good overview of what is commonly used in the trade, so any good leads on nurseries might be helpful as well.

Thanks.

Eric Hadden
    Participant

Any tips on a nursery in Seattle that might have a good collection of succulents?

Eric Hadden
    Participant

Thanks, Todd. Both of those look like good resources. I especially liked what I found on Fourth Corner Nursery’s website.

Betsy Bermingham
    Participant

Welcome Eric!

I agree with Todd, Pojar is great.

Sound Native Plants in Olympia is also particularly helpful if you have questions. Ben Alexander, the owner occasionally gives classes through the Coastal Training program (http://www.coastaltraining-wa.org/Course-Catalog/4.aspx) on vegetative shoreline stabilization. Sarah Speare Cooke’s Field guide to Common Native Wetland Plants of Western WA/NW OR is also great. She also occasionally teaches through the Coastal Training program and I think does some intensive plant ID classes at U of O too. Hope this helps.

Mike Metevier
    Participant

Hey Eric,

Why did u move from texas to washington state?  I am thinking of relocating to the pnw.  Are u woking in washington now?  Your bio list the place in texas as your web site.  Thanks.

Mike

Eric Hadden
    Participant

Thanks for the recommendations, Betsy. It seems like there are quite a few good nurseries  guided by well-educated nurserymen/women. I’m used to working with “natives”, but that term obviously means something different whenever you move to a new region. It’s good to have some resources to turn to now. Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register