Occupy Wall Street – Are you with it?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Occupy Wall Street – Are you with it?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

Yay, Matt Taibbi. Smart dude..add to your list, “Let the Bush Tax cuts expire” I think that is on Taibbi’s list as a simple demand, altho that is perhaps what you mean by “Repeal tax breaks that enable hedge funding.” 

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/opinion/safety-regulators-dont-add-costs-they-decide-who-pays-them.html?ref=opinion

Here is a great article on the ‘costs’ of government regulations – as it says, safety regulators don’t ADD costs, they just decide who pays them..The dead girl from listeria poisoning is still a dead girl.

Trace One
    Participant

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/10/17/345663/buffett-nothing-under-999/

here’s another good one – Warren Buffet would pay NO TAXES at all under Pizza-CEO’s 999 plan..for anyone who thinks Cain has a clue about anything.

then check out Cains opinions on Sharia law – he tells us we must be AFRAID of muslims, very AFRAID!! He is a dork, in the classical definition of dorkness.

mauiBob
    Participant

When the top 1% control 65% of the nation’s wealth, there’s something wrong with the system. When the United States is ranked 93 in the world in income inequality, behind Egypt and India, there’s something wrong with the system. Obviously, you’re not reading any of the articles published about the movement and the things they stand for. If you don’t desire to read, then look at some pretty, graph illustrations from Rob’s link on page 10.

For every one success story you show about capitalism, there’s 10 unsuccessful ones on the other end. And those success stories are becoming more and more difficult to find. The Power doesn’t come from the people and that’s the point of the protest!! Wake up, Jordan. Good grief.

Steve Mercer
    Participant

I am concerned for Agriculture!  And you and every other American who likes to eat and have reasonable food prices and horticultural products better be to. Cause in our politicians zeal to slay the evil illegal immigrant they may do irreputable harm to Agriculture!  And that hurts every American!  And the protestors who complain about illegal immigration across all industries including agriculture just make the situation worse in Washington come time to vote on these bills.  The fact is that illegal immigration has actually dropped.  It is no wonder why, if they can’t find work here they go home!

s.

Heather Smith
    Participant

Are there Occupy Wall Street protesters protesting immigrants? I am pretty sure Tea Partiers were….

On another note I just watched this interview which was very informative…including a reminder that the FBI warned about mortgage fraud in 2004.

http://articles.cnn.com/2004-09-17/justice/mortgage.fraud_1_mortgag…

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/44935992#44935992

Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

I’ve seen that issue listed as one of the named grievances/government failures (to protect jobs)… but since there’s a range of interests in the protests and no single platform, there’s no telling how prevalent it is. Surely agricultural work could be monitored differently if we need to be hospitable – it has different rules on other employment issues.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

I am skeptical of polls but here is news of a new poll on how NYC residents feel about the protests and their aims:

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1302.xml?ReleaseID=1662

Rick Spalenka
    Participant

Henry, if you think the protesters ended the Viet Nam war you spent too much time with Cheech and Chong.  We had a President then who didn’t have a clue to what was going on and history repeats.  I was on the streets in the late 60’s, early 70’s, as a bystander like many others.  The Sterling Hall bomb knocked me out of bed and I walked through the rubble of that blast going to class.  It was the BOOM that people heard and not the shouts that finally caused student unrest to rest.  What does breaking store windows and looting gain?  An unearned TV.

Rick Spalenka
    Participant

Yea Craig, China’s Mao Zedong and his Great Leap Forward resulted in the starvation deaths of 20 – 40 million Chinease.  Aggressively moving into the future.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

This doesn’t seem to be a post to move the discussion forward. I expect Craig is referring to China’s current growth rather than its failed attempts of 35 years ago. Perhaps you’d respond to his point about China’s current growth policies? There can be no denying that that country has made great strides in the past decade while we have slipped badly.What have been the pros and cons of current growth in China? Plenty can be said on that score.  Isn’t that a point worth discussing? Or are we replacing discussion with snark?

Ms. One,

Please check out of the lounge until you get up-to-speed on taxes, sharia, etc.  The views advocated by the NY Times, Rolling Stone, National Enquirer, Hustler, and their ilk shouldn’t be advanced in lock-step here. 

Heather Smith
    Participant

We have been having a great discussion here…have you read the entire thread? If so…please offer your own thoughts. Perhaps you can offer your own thoughts and facts to back them up. And wow…Hustler? Didn’t notice a link for that!

I notice previously you mention “sponsors”…I am not follwowing your thought? The OWS is now being sponsored? I suppose by Soros? hahahhahah. I am part of the movement…and I sure haven’t seen any money. You seem to be tiptoeing around just coming out with what you think of the movement. Out with it. Then we can have a discussion…rather then little digs here and there.

BTW, we just thought of a great new sign, “Protect Capitalism from Wall Street”. hahah.

Trace One
    Participant

Ha! good sign, Heather! I am going to use it! And thanks! I can’t remember reading Hustler recently, either..!

Of course I’ve read the entire thread and my thoughts are neither unique nor complicated.  Free enterprise and capitalism, right here in the greatest nation ever to exist on Earth have produced over half of all the economic activity in all of human history.  Capitalism has fed, clothed, sheltered, secured, housed, and healed the planet for generations.  This is what the occupiers are protesting.  They’re deluded.  The NY Times, the Washington Post, CBS, ABS, NBS, Rolling Stone, et al (they’ve all morphed into the same stylemordial soup) are on the same bandwagon as the occupiers (or vice versa) and make no mistake about it, the origins of this rabble are sponsored – it is not a spontaneous, grass-roots movement as the aforementioned media would have us believe.  “Protect capitalism from Wall Street“?  Seriously?  This is a perfect illustration of the confusion, contradiction, and counterproductivity that has typefied the American left since the 1950s.  In short, the occupiers are demonstrating nothing but their profound ignorance of the very system that sustains them.  I wonder if fish protest water?  You can’t possibly be a part of this – can you?  

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

I don’t want to lose capitalism! That is a definition of freedom.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register